Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

81 - 100 of 264 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
dumb question, but thats 2.5" longer than 8ft? i think this is the coolest build that i have ever seen! would love to have a ride in it with that air ride suspension. i havnt looked into it at all but is it something i can do to my 2500 mega? And if you dont mind me asking what does it cost just for parts?

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
i knew you typed inches but your second picture shows a piece of bed that is about 2.5 feet long so i didn't know if you mistyped and that whole piece got spliced in.
I bought that front part from a wrecking yard as I needed the front section. That picture shows it being cut.

I spent a lot of money on this build as this will hopefully last awhile. It rides like a 3/4 ton. Maybe a little nicer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
i only came across this tread tonight and wasn't sure if i was reading it right, but damn this is an awesome build!!!!! I thought about it but knew i would never have enough money to build it in my lifetime!!!! im glad someone else does and i can't wait to see the finished product!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
dumb question, but thats 2.5" longer than 8ft? i think this is the coolest build that i have ever seen! would love to have a ride in it with that air ride suspension. i havnt looked into it at all but is it something i can do to my 2500 mega? And if you dont mind me asking what does it cost just for parts?
[email protected] can answer all of your air susp questions. He did for me. They had to fabricate a new kit for the 13's and their were some changes from when they shipped out my kit to when I actually installed. Parts were sent up ASAP no questions asked. Easy as heck to deal with. Plus the ride is very nice.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Any reason why you chose to lengthen the bed 2 inches rather than just move the axle forward 2 in?

Just curious, seeing as how you already had the axle loose and the leaf springs out when converting to air susp.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Real nice build! Can't wait to see the finished product! Subscribed!

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
I couldn't move the axle forward because the fuel tank would hit the axle. I could have cut the frame and moved forward if it wasn't for that. I would have. I thought about cutting the tank and making 3 inches shorter, but didn't go that route.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Looking good man. Cannot wait to see this thing driving around the valley. One of a kind for sure.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is the coolest

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Well, the bed is finished. I need to build the bed mounts next. This picture is with the bed just sitting on the truck. It is not level. Hopefully the bed mounts, gooseneck hitch, rear bumper, lighting, and the fender flares will be on by this friday.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Here is another photo of the truck up close.

Also, these toyo's will not be run in the winter. Summer only. These tires I have attached are super swamper irok 36x13.5x19.5. They are rated for 6400 lbs a tire. I put four studs in every lug and had the tires siped. These will be the best all around tire I hope.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Here is another photo of the truck up close. ...
Looking good! I have always liked the idea of a 4500/5500 SRW. One question though. Is it just the way the bed is sitting , or did the air ride make the truck squat in the rear? Or are the bags just aired down in the picture? Anxiously waiting the finished pics.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #95 (Edited)
The bed is not sitting level on the frame. It's sitting on the mount in the front and not on the
Back. The frame height on the rear with leaf springs was 31.25" and after with the air it dropped to 28.5". I talked with Kasey and he said their kit levels the truck. With the auto load levelers on all four corners, the truck will alwAys be level. Either empty or 5k in the bed or no bumper or heavy winch bumper with winch.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
those 19.5's are gonna suck in the snow.

awesome build though, pretty good detail
on the changes. really like the console
shifter.
I'm curious why u say the Toyo 608 will suck in snow? They are soft with big deep open lugs. If these swampers don't work and wear out quickly, I will run a set of these toyos in the winter. 2600 buck for 4 super swamper tires eats the budget pretty quick.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Wow awesome build. Wish I could afford to ship those 19.5 DRW wheels down here.:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
those 19.5's are gonna suck in the snow.

awesome build though, pretty good detail
on the changes. really like the console
shifter.

I'm curious why u say the Toyo 608 will suck in snow? They are soft with big deep open lugs. If these swampers don't work and wear out quickly, I will run a set of these toyos in the winter. 2600 buck for 4 super swamper tires eats the budget pretty quick.
Says the guy from Texas......

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
So the paint doesnt completely match the truck. Body shop will blend it in and match when the topper is completed. They will blend and paint the topper. The topper is only for the winter to keep riding gear out of the elements. The only other thing is the top plastic piece that goes on the top of the bed. THat needs to be lengthened. Other than that, it handled this 22,000 lb load with ease. It pulled good, but the handling is what was unbelieveable. On the gravel pot holed road, it was 10 times better than my 07 3500 dually.

Mileage with 1100 miles is 10-12 empty with the speed off by 6 mph slow, and towing this load I got right at 7.

81 - 100 of 264 Posts