41 - 60 of 265 Posts

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #42

·
Registered
116 Posts
Love this truck!!! Keep up the good work!!! Looking forward to seeing more!!!

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
I weighed the truck with 40 gallons of fuel, and with the new air suspension and the truck weighed in at the exact same weight of 8910. Exactly.

Here are some pics of the front and rear suspension that all was removed. My foot is a size 12 and that puts into perspective the size of those springs. THey are at least 5/8" thick.
you looking at selling those rear springs ? what would be your guestimate of the weight of each spring pack?

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
you looking at selling those rear springs ? what would be your guestimate of the weight of each spring pack?
I would be willing to sell them. PM me. Im guessing prob 150 lbs a piece. i saw a guy on ebay selling a set for 1500 bucks. I dont want that much though.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I havent had time to clean up the shop and put away my M8, wifes renegade 800, and the skandic super wide so I spent 3 hours getting that done. I have been neglecting things recently and the shop is one of them. Its still pretty dirty.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Whats up with the cummins on that engine stand?
Its an 07 5.9. I had it in my truck and lost cylinder 6 with an injector issue. Insurance covered a used motor and the core was 450 bucks. So I bought the motor back and plan on honing it out, new piston and rings, and put back together. 86,000 miles:RANTIN:

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
These are the pics from cylinder number 6. Wasnt bad. Walls really arent that scored so...

Attachments

·
Registered
427 Posts
Its an 07 5.9. I had it in my truck and lost cylinder 6 with an injector issue. Insurance covered a used motor and the core was 450 bucks. So I bought the motor back and plan on honing it out, new piston and rings, and put back together. 86,000 miles:RANTIN:
Your auto insurance covered a new motor? Was it in a wreck? Or is this actually covered under your plan? Also, I notice you are in Palmer, I am out in Wasilla. Nice truck man. Id like to see this thing in person when youre done!

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Your auto insurance covered a new motor? Was it in a wreck? Or is this actually covered under your plan? Also, I notice you are in Palmer, I am out in Wasilla. Nice truck man. Id like to see this thing in person when youre done!
It's a long story on motor, but attributed to dirty fuel. Truck may be done in 10 days ish.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Because in alaska, 6 months out of the year snow is on the road. And I am not talking about like wisconsin or minnesota. They have snow too. WHat I am talking is you wont see blacktop. Salt is not used up here and snow just keeps packing and turning into ice, and it rarely gets above 20 so it doesnt really melt like back in the midwest or colder states. ALso, up at our cabin, it can and snow 3' in two days and this happens regularly. We take the sleds up there to go riding and on sunday afternoon, dig out my old 2007 dodge dually. Then, spend another hour trying to get it and the enclosed trailer out of the parking lot. I was sick of getting stuck all the time and the dually didnt help. SO make it a single rear wheel.

Also, I pull heavy quite a bit. 25,000lbs + A 3500 SRW would not be rated for what I wanted. I could either get another dually and have the same problems, or build a 5500, put on some H rated tires that are rated for 6400 lbs a piece and have the best of both worlds.
Wouldn't it have been easier and cheaper to just get a 3500 swr and just "beef it up"? Not many guys have the balls to take apart/ modify a brand new $55k truck. U gonna put a flatbed on it?

·
Registered
116 Posts
MORE PICS NEEDED!!! haha also can't wait to hear a full review of those tires combined with the Kelderman. Also, I have heard horror stories of Kelderman and product fitment. How did the overall install go? Looking at this to possibly do to my SRW 3500 thats on order.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Wouldn't it have been easier and cheaper to just get a 3500 swr and just "beef it up"? Not many guys have the balls to take apart/ modify a brand new $55k truck. U gonna put a flatbed on it?
The drivetrain on a 5500 is much more bulletproof than the 1 tons. Heck my front axle is the same size that was used on the rear axle old 94-02 automatics. Plus tires and wheels woul be purchased for the new truck. The pick up bed and fuel tank were the only things really needed. I didn't need to run an air suspension. I wanted to. Plus I don't need to re gear either. I've soon it on my 02 and next thing u know I got lockers front and rear. Plus this is so much heavier duty than your little 1 ton. ;)

·
Military Veteran
2,100 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Very interesting build, definitely subscribing for this one.

I second more photos!
:worthless:

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Still working on the bed. So i decided to put on the milemarker hydro winch, fog lights, and the blue lake off road 4500-5500 bumper with the extended coverage. I wired in a wireless remote control, an in cab control, and the factory wire remote control. Those auxillery switches are great. I only have two more switches left. After the light force lights, only 1 more left. Bumper and winch took me about 6 hours with all the wiring inside the cab, power steering lines, and fitting the bumper. I had to bust out the plasma cutter as the 13's are slightly different from the 12's and the bumper manufacturer didnt take into account the new intercooler. I am going to replace the 6 year old cable and replace it with plasma rope that I have laying around (place was going out of business and sold it for $1 a foot). I bought 300 feet and put some of the 3/8th rope on my off road truck so I have approx 200 feet left. I do need to buy a aluminum hawse fairlead though.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Last two photos. I rate this install at least 4 beers, and two coffees.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 265 Posts