Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

241 - 260 of 264 Posts

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
I haven't towed with it yet. With the 65 horse tune, the truck doesn't really pull harder than when I had the bd booster and ts. That was a great combo in my opinion. The mileage has went up quite a bit though. Even more than with the Stryker. That gave me 1-2 mpg. Stock mileage was horrible.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I haven't towed with it yet. With the 65 horse tune, the truck doesn't really pull harder than when I had the bd booster and ts. That was a great combo in my opinion.
I will be looking forward to hear how it tows. Is your ts still for sale?

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
I just got an offer for my ts from someone on here.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
Yea, unlock was required.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
Mileage is on the rise. With these summer tires and cruising at 65 mph which is 1900ish rpms, this thing is cranking out 15-16 mpg on the 100hp tune. It keeps getting better. If I drive 60 mph, i see 18-19 mpg. Towing my trailer at 60 mph which is an enclosed trailer, I am seeing 10.2 in the flats with some nice hills. I dont like how the throttle is unresponsive though. PPEI will be working that soon when the CSP switch comes on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Considering doing a 5500 Srw pickup conversion.

Would it be easier to go with the air suspension and move the axle ahead the 2-3 inches needed to mount the long box without mods? I know there will be an issue with the stock fuel tank. I was hoping to fix that with a custom tank. I would appreciate any advice.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
If I had to do it again, I think I would have cut the frame and shortened it. I also then would have to cut the fuel tank and shorten that which I think would be easier than having to make two beds fit into one. I couldnt buy a standard pick up cap. I had to have a special one made. I am happy with it though.

You could move the axle forward, but all the bolt holes line right up for the air suspension. I guess if a guy was good, he could drill all new holes and move the axle.

2,541 Posts
If I had to do it again, I think I would have cut the frame and shortened it. I also then would have to cut the fuel tank and shorten that which I think would be easier than having to make two beds fit into one. I couldnt buy a standard pick up cap. I had to have a special one made. I am happy with it though.

You could move the axle forward, but all the bolt holes line right up for the air suspension. I guess if a guy was good, he could drill all new holes and move the axle.

The only downside with shortening the frame would be resale.

With the way you did it, not counting the Kelderman full aftermarket air suspension, you can remove the custom long box, weld back on the 8" rear frame section and the truck is back to stock for resale.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Awesome build. FWIW I'm a 67-72 GM Truck fan and your bed reminds me of the Longhorn edition trucks. They had an extra section added to the long bed making it an extremely long bed! I also lived in the Fairbanks area for a few years and still remember thinking "what the hell" when I moved there in the middle of winter. Took a little getting use to coming to a red light on several inches of ice. No salt used up there. I kind of laugh at some of the driving habits of folks here in Washington state now.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Quick question for you. First off awesome build! In your research and through everything you've done to convert your truck to a SRW, did you find any type of spacer that would make the front and rear axle the same track width? I'm wanting to keep a wider track width than a factory 2500 but want the wheels to be inline. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #258
Here are some updated photos. Truck is running great. This dozer/trailer weighs in at 36,000 and the dump and trailer weigh in at 35,000 lbs. so gvwr of 46/47,000 lbs.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #259
Not sure if the picture showed or not.

Attachments

241 - 260 of 264 Posts