Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

5500 or F550

27380 Views 50 Replies 28 Participants Last post by  bigred450
I know on this site most people will say Dodge, and I would too I love my Rams. I am looking to get rid of two trucks, a Ram 3500 and GMC 6500, and get one. I really like the 5500 but have a few concerns. The Ford has a GCWR of 33k the Ram is 26k. The truck will be used for heave pintle hitch towing, often 20k plus. My other concern is my local Dodge dealer says they cannot do warranty on the truck, my local Ford dealer can do the F 550. The Ford is a sweet truck but I do not trust the powerjoke at all and am not sure of the trans. The Dodge has the great motor, great well great every thing and I love the exhaust brake. The 7K difference in the GCWR just has me worried. Thanks in advance
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Registered
815 Posts
I know on this site most people will say Dodge, and I would too I love my Rams. I am looking to get rid of two trucks, a Ram 3500 and GMC 6500, and get one. I really like the 5500 but have a few concerns. The Ford has a GCWR of 33k the Ram is 26k. The truck will be used for heave pintle hitch towing, often 20k plus. My other concern is my local Dodge dealer says they cannot do warranty on the truck, my local Ford dealer can do the F 550. The Ford is a sweet truck but I do not trust the powerjoke at all and am not sure of the trans. The Dodge has the great motor, great well great every thing and I love the exhaust brake. The 7K difference in the GCWR just has me worried. Thanks in advance

Why can Dodge not do the warranty? Didn't they sell the 5500's? If Dodge will not do the warranty you are screwed then, because Cummins will not do the warranty either.....

· Premium Member
1,311 Posts
I think that he means that the local dealer is not a C&C dealer as only the C&C dealers can do work on them according to Chrysler.

· Registered
548 Posts
The torqshift is a strong tranny but only 5 speed so poor mpg on the freeway. 6.4 is nowhere near as strong as the Duramax or Cummins so you miss the pulling power.

F450 pickup has 33k GCWR too. Look at those, huge brakes, dana S110 rear axle, wide track the list goes on. 6.4 is the only fly in the ointment but they react well to tunes.

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know fuel economy is going to suck with anything i get. Yes only the C&C dealers can do the service on them and my local dealer doesn't sell them. I know the 450 is a sweet truck I really like the F550s too I am just very worried about the Powerjoke. The torqueshift is a good trans though? Is there any after market exhaust brakes for the 6.4 yet?

· Registered
4,642 Posts
he is getting rid of a chevy 6500 so im sure he dosent want a truck that big.

that is correct my local dodge cant work on the 45/5500 either their shop is not equiped to do so.

the 6.4 is gone and was not around long so think down the road about parts and replacment stuff. get what serves u best as far as ratings seeing u will be under CDL stuff.

but i would get the dodge if u can find one. 6.7 plus 6spd auto cant go wrong.

· Premium Member
147 Posts
I have both brands in 08 5500/550 and I love and hate them both.
My advice is to get the F550, haul it to Denver, have a 6.7 with a turbo and studs stabbed in.
I tow just as much weight with the Dodge as I do with the Ford. Had to throw a couple extra springs to the stack though.

· Registered
1,984 Posts
he is getting rid of a chevy 6500 so im sure he dosent want a truck that big.

that is correct my local dodge cant work on the 45/5500 either their shop is not equiped to do so.

the 6.4 is gone and was not around long so think down the road about parts and replacment stuff. get what serves u best as far as ratings seeing u will be under CDL stuff.

but i would get the dodge if u can find one. 6.7 plus 6spd auto cant go wrong.
im pretty sure the new ford motor doesnt come out until next year. When you go on fords website it still says the 6.4L

· Premium Member
1,296 Posts
im pretty sure the new ford motor doesnt come out until next year. When you go on fords website it still says the 6.4L

the 6.7 powerjoke should be out in spring iirc...it will be a very early 2011 model. they are doing a short run production on the 2010's.

· Registered
4,642 Posts
i know the new body style/2011 ford will have the Ford built 6.7 diesel

the current trucks have the 6.4 thats what i said, meaning that they are already threw with that engine. was only out a few yrs and wont be easy to find parts for like our trucks with millions of engines out there

· Registered
16 Posts
I'd go Dodge. I have just met way too many guys with the 6.4's that were unhappy. And as far as the TorqueShift goes its nowhere near as tough as the Aisin Dodge uses.
i wanna know how you can say that? i havent seen a 6.7 dodge holding over 500hp with a completly stock tranny
but just about every ford out there with 500+ is hoding it just fine

i relize we are talkin about towing here but even in that case i have seen lots of dodges in the shop with tranny problems and about half as many fords

im not trying to start anything here just asking a question

· Banned
879 Posts
See Sterling....(dodge thru frieghtliner) The big dana's are in the 5500 series, atleast the 1 i seen had the dana and spl 90 series shafts....which i think is seriously overkill

· Registered
3,180 Posts
There's a pretty nice 5500 in my town for sale has flat western hauler bed on it 10k miles all leather 51k I think they want.... look up fort collins dodge inventory used its a 08 just fyi but my dad was gunna get a ford he loves the ride but not the motor I told him to look at the one he has now and he called me up and told me iam a azz just cause he was test driving it and bought right then and there he loves the dodge and is super glad he got the 5500 and he came from a f650 with a c7 cat and that thing was a gurn box compared to how his cummins runs all deleted with black maxx!!

· Registered
4,642 Posts
i wanna know how you can say that? i havent seen a 6.7 dodge holding over 500hp with a completly stock tranny
but just about every ford out there with 500+ is hoding it just fine

i relize we are talkin about towing here but even in that case i have seen lots of dodges in the shop with tranny problems and about half as many fords

im not trying to start anything here just asking a question
realize that they r talking about the Aisin thats in the C&Cs and not the 68RE that is in the 25/3500 trucks

· W4UO
308 Posts
I own an 08 F450 auto 4x4 king ranch. And i can tell you for a fact that the 5R110 is extremly tough. I dont think the statement that its not as good as the aisin is well first :rof and secondly doesnt sound very educated. :spank:

Now i also know first hand a couple of fleet owners that have dodges for there 1ton and lower and fords for there larger.

The 6.4 has worked well for me. NO trouble with the pulling 20K+ daily stock. Now i had all the tsb's done and has worked really well.

The fleets that operate the fords 450's and 550's have had there share of issues especially in 2 area, first is the early 08's they took in. All have been fixed at ford under warranty. Secondly the emissions system is crap, just like on the dodge.

Lastly IF warranty is of importance, go with the ford, yes it has had a few issues but what good is a truck you gotta fix. Id lean this way if money is the real driven point .

Now for me I i like being rated at 33k. That was a big one for me as well. DOT leave you alone if you pull what your rated for .

So in a nut shell the ford is my vote in this situation for warranty. Trucks not failed yet. Tranny is AWESOME! never misses a beat.

PS its hard to beat as well if you Want a truck out of the box that you can plant 500+hp to the rear without having to upgrade thousands in trannys and what not this is a good bet. One reason is it has a cooling and intercooler system thats way over engineered. Truck idling sittin will cool down very fast. So when towing and tuned almost no worries of pyro temps getting high. I tow 215hp tune alot.

PSS Milage does go up with tunning and exhaust mods on these trucks helps ALOT.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.