Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
what do you mean what happens lol the block cracks in them things. you have people that will say if it hasnt cracked yet its not going to but they still crack. Right now as we scroll down the forums there is a 53 block out there cracking. if youre looking to buy a 53 block id steer clear especially if youre gunna build a decent engine with it. better safe then sorry. what could be worse than building a sweet engine to then crack the block. some say their is different suppliers of blocks that could explain why some people have better luck than others.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I read it wasnt all 53 blocks . It was from a certain time (early isb engines)period from Brazil , were the problematic ones. This what ive read. I never dynoed my truck but im sure its 400+ hp . I have a 53 block with over 300,000 miles and Ive rebuilt , refreshed ( rings gaskets bearings) it once. There are some 12v 53 blocks from ppump trucks Ive never heard of them having problems.
Honestly these trucks are getting older I would beilve if the block hasnt cracked it probably wont. Thats me though. Others have had very bad experiences.

·
Registered
82 Posts
More like if it hasn’t cracked already MAYBE it still won’t...

If you’re too late, then I’d just run it and do with it as you please.
I would not knowingly buy a 53 knowing I could avoid it.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Another wishful-thinker saying if it hasn’t cracked yet it won’t.
I just put a new engine in mine because the SECOND 53 cracked.
That’s right, in less than 100,000 total mikes it’s on it’s 3rd engine.
Now it’s got the good Mexican block.
Others are still reporting 53s cracking.
Enough with this fairy tale BS that 53s that haven’t yet cracked won’t.
That’s why I get kinda’ irritated when people give out that kind of false and expensive advice.

Good luck with yours. Using that block to rebuild was foolish.

By the way, ALL 50-anything Cummins blocks are from Brazil.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Another wishful-thinker saying if it hasn’t cracked yet it won’t.
I just put a new engine in mine because the SECOND 53 cracked.
That’s right, in less than 100,000 total mikes it’s on it’s 3rd engine.
Now it’s got the good Mexican block.
Others are still reporting 53s cracking.
Enough with this fairy tale BS that 53s that haven’t yet cracked won’t.
That’s why I get kinda’ irritated when people give out that kind of false and expensive advice.

Good luck with yours. Using that block to rebuild was foolish.

By the way, ALL 50-anything Cummins blocks are from Brazil.
I rebuilt that block because it was 1/2 the price of any used block with high( or lower) mileage I found.
Just because it has a 53 on it doesnt mean their all the same. Prior to and after while they where casting the blocks changes where made.
There are many 53 blocks in p-pump motors not one ever cracked. Ever. 53 is just a number .

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I rebuilt that block because it was 1/2 the price of any used block with high( or lower) mileage I found.
I’m sure it was...

53 is just a number. Like “Yugo” is just a name... or “DUI” are just letters...

·
Registered
442 Posts
I’m sure it was...

53 is just a number. Like “Yugo” is just a name... or “DUI” are just letters...
Are you randomly stating stuff , saying it proves your point. Let me try. Up is just a direct . Beef is just a meat . Blue is just a color. How did I do?
And yes yes it was because its the block thats been with the truck over 300,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
If it cracks it cracks is where I'm at... 218 on mine and I built it knowingly..

·
Registered
120 Posts
The problem with the 53 block, that most everyone knows, is that the castings were too thin on the water jackets on everyone that left the plant. I look at it as a crap shoot, it might crack just like it might not. Its all if you're willing to take that gamble. Personally, if someone tells me that there's a bear trap out there, I'm not gonna run in the dark............

·
Registered
83 Posts
I’ve got 250k on mine with no issues,I’ve had the truck for 8 years,I just found out yesterday I had a 53 block.id like to hear from more people with experience good or bad

·
Registered
880 Posts
300k, p-pump'd, compounds, no issues as of yet. Way I look at it, if it's got a 53 block, run it, if you're looking to build a engine, find something else.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
225k on my 99 I sold last year, 650+ for 5 years sold it to a friend of a friend and has 260k and still rolling strong.

·
Registered
32 Posts
220k on my 53 block so far, I have had 3 of the 53 block trucks and not a crack yet. But I believe it is a gamble since it has happened so much to others. My latest truck was the color and had all the options I wanted (sport etc) I crawled under it before I bought it and knew what I was getting even talked the seller down because of it but not any big amount that would pay for an engine lol. I will buy and install another block if it happens but will not go through the cost to do so before it happens if it even does.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am looking at a '99 53-block right now. This truck is immaculate inside and out. No rust, scratches, dents or dings. Brand new dash and the drivers seat barely looks like it has been sat in. Engine is completely stock. I swore I would never buy a 53-block, but this truck is priced right and has everything I want, except for the nv5600...it has the nv4500.

I think I am rolling the dice and buying it.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I am looking at a '99 53-block right now. This truck is immaculate inside and out. No rust, scratches, dents or dings. Brand new dash and the drivers seat barely looks like it has been sat in. Engine is completely stock. I swore I would never buy a 53-block, but this truck is priced right and has everything I want, except for the nv5600...it has the nv4500.

I think I am rolling the dice and buying it.
Personally I wouldn't have a problem buying 53 truck for the right price. When they crack they don't really leave you stranded. You would just have to have the means to find and rebuild another block and if you have to have a shop do all the work I would be hesitant. I wouldn't however buy another nv4500 truck with with the power level im at. Ive broken the nv45 more times then I care to think about. They are cheap to rebuild though.

·
Registered
14,706 Posts
Every now and again this topic comes up... Years ago I did as much investigative research on the 53 as there was available on the internet. What I found was quite interesting too.

I cant remember all of what I discovered but what I can is:
The 53 casting number was cast in more than one location.
There are different lot numbers for the 53 casting number. And no one knows what those lot numbers mean.
There are different paint and finishes for the 53 casting number.
The 53 was the most popular casting number by far during those years.
The other casting numbers have had problems too. Not nearly as common but still a point to make.

Other than that, there was enough reasons to conclude that there is not enough information out there to assume that all of them are the same or that they all will have problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the responses!

I had a 2006 3rd Gen from '06 - '18. Sold it to my mechanic with over 280,000 miles on it. My father past away and I got his '06 6.0L Powerstroke. I regret ever keeping that and giving up my Cummins. I didn't need two big trucks and kept the Ford for sentimental reasons. It was a struggle to get in that truck, much less drive it enough to fall in love with it. Then I started reading up on the 6.0L issues. My heart sunk and I put it up for sale. It still ran strong and I didn't want it to clunk out on me. Sold it yesterday to a Ford guy that has (3) 6.0L trucks. He bulletproofs them and rolls coal.

I said all that to say this...I loved my 3rd Gen (4-door crew cab big horn), but always wished I was behind the wheel of a 2nd Gen. So now I found "my dream truck" and if the 53-block cracks, I will throw another engine in it. Maybe a P-pumped 12v...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts