Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the 53 block as bad as i've heard? I plan on adding more fuel soon, an air dog or fass system, and injectors, cold air intake, intake horn, and a turbo. I would like to see 500-600 hp and touch the 1000 ft/lb mark. Can this block handle any amount of power?

·
Registered
384 Posts
If you want that type of power you have two choices, 1) run her till she cracks (if she does) and swap out the block, at the same time building you're bottom end to handle good amounts of HP or 2) knowing that she could potientaly crack any day sell her and buy another 24v before you sink money into goodies that you wont get back.

·
Vendor
1,676 Posts
The 53 block horror isn't as big as everyone cracks it up to be, theres members on here over 250,000 miles with no issues. Just be smart about your power.

·
Registered
384 Posts
It's blown way out of proportion.
I hope you dont have a 53 block:shock:.. I had 2 buddies it happend to, and i dont know more than 5 people with 53 blocks. It's weather you really wanna take the risk, if it was me i would either be setting aside money every month or selling it.

·
Vendor
1,676 Posts
I hope you dont have a 53 block:shock:.. I had 2 buddies it happend to, and i dont know more than 5 people with 53 blocks. It's weather you really wanna take the risk, if it was me i would either be setting aside money every month or selling it.
You'll be fine, don't let rumors scare you away from the truck. Myself personally I'd be more concerned about the life of the VP than having a 53 block.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Just saying some people are lucky, some are not.. personaly Ive never won the lottery..

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
It's no rumor some of them crack, mine did!
Some of them don't- I'm not good at gambling either!
Mine had no power adders, just a grocery getter till now.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Mine cracked. Such a shame cause its not high miles. It's been makin power for a while now but hasn't had a rough life. If you have a 53 it will probably crack. Some survive but cummins did a good job of cleanin up their mess and keeping the failure rate lower than actual.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
guys that have had 53 blocks crack will never buy another one, guys without 53 blocks say they arent so bad, and guys with un-cracked 53 blocks try not to think about it. take your pick.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Is the 53 block as bad as i've heard? I plan on adding more fuel soon, an air dog or fass system, and injectors, cold air intake, intake horn, and a turbo. I would like to see 500-600 hp and touch the 1000 ft/lb mark. Can this block handle any amount of power?
53 blocks can take all the horsepower you can throw at it, it just can't keep coolant in the side of them. These flaws are not caused by excessive horsepower, some are run normal and still crack. Some say it has to do with the warm up cycle by letting them idle till warm. My water jacket was 3/16 of an inch thick where it cracked, what caused that? Bad casting- run em hard, run em easy. Good luck- you'll need it!

·
Registered
50 Posts
well i just dealt with the 53 block last winter, i was sitting around 550 in my plow/pulling truck. ended up with a 5 inch crack. had 238000 on it when she finally cracked, although i dont think it had anything to do with the HP i think it had to do with excessive heat from the plow blocking airflow. I would say its a pretty significant deal and would be sure not to build a 53 unless you were filling the block

·
Registered
29 Posts
i got me one with an 8" crack

the sad thing is its got 86k on the motor and only a few mods.. so im now in the cracked block crew........ my question is what other block could you exchange mine for ??? i cant find anyone who would sell me just the block ....ANYONE???

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Mine is one of the .0001 % ( or whatever Cummins claims) that cracked at stock power under warranty. it was replaced with a 56. I know of two others that cracked at stock power as well.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
743 Posts
We have some 53 Block motors at work... They run as secondary motors for a chairlift, non-hydrostatic.

I crank em up in -30f temps and throttle it. Good chance my truck motor is a 53 block (dont know dont care and dont wanna know), I havent seen any fail yet...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Min

I have one in my garage and persona;ly know of 10 around here and two have cracked

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I have over 278k on mine, with good power and no probs, and the only reason im getting ready to sell it is for more room for the 3 kiddos, besides that i love it.

·
Registered
743 Posts
sell the truck for more room? something i've never understood lol.
I hope I get that mileage outta mine, actually I know I will.. 160 and ticking...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts