Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, i am wanting to know how common the cracked block is on the 53 block? i am getting ready to purchase a 98.5 regular cab and just found out that it has the 53 block. the truck has 133,000 miles and is in really good shape. any info anyone can provide about the 53 block will be very much appreciated. thanks in advance.

· Registered
274 Posts
My truck had the 53' block in it and it cracked. Had to get a new 56' block to put in it. I dont know how often the 53 block will crack but from what i have heard it happens mostly when you starting puttin power to it form modules and programmers. They usually will crack on the passenger side down towards the bottom of the block down below the freeze plugs. Just my opinion on them.

· Registered
3,618 Posts
My 00 cracked at 150K Im now in the prosses of building a new motor. Good luck!

· Rescue Tower
11,008 Posts
It's a crap shoot. Some make it some don't. Mine is fine. It can be repaired or you can swap the engine out. Use it to negotiate a lower price.

· Registered
2,002 Posts
I have a 53 and i beat the piss out of it... No cracks at 123k

· Registered
303 Posts
its a trow up some will some wont mine is a 53 and i have 110,000 miles no cracks yet (knock on wood) same with my dads truck so i would say use it to get it cheaper and just be prepared to buy a new block just in case...

· Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dont really think ill be able to get a lower price. the truck is a 98.5 reg cab, 133,xxx miles, 4" turbo back MBRP exhaust, brand new mickey thompson tires, diablosport powerpuck, and the front end has been leveled. it is a solid truck but the guy is wanting $10,000. the only thing keeping me from buying it is the 53 block and the fact that if it cracks and i eventually have to replace it im going to have several more thousand $$ than its worth .

· Registered
223 Posts
I have 211xxx on mine and no cracks. The problem is the 53 casting block is mor prone to it than others. Keep in mind this doesn't mean it will crack. If you are going to pour the coals to it as far as power put a girdle on it and it will reduce twist and tendency to crack.

· Registered
34 Posts
My truck had the 53' block in it and it cracked. Had to get a new 56' block to put in it. I dont know how often the 53 block will crack but from what i have heard it happens mostly when you starting puttin power to it form modules and programmers. They usually will crack on the passenger side down towards the bottom of the block down below the freeze plugs. Just my opinion on them.
Where did you end up getting a 56 block?

· Registered
9,857 Posts
putting a box on the truck wont crack the block, towing heavy through the mountains or sled pulling, etc. is what gets 95% of the ones that are going to crack.

I have 206k miles on my 53 block with a box on it pushing 35psi of boost and no cracks. then again I rarely tow anything heavier than a couple dirt bikes or jet ski's...

· Registered
34 Posts
putting a box on the truck wont crack the block, towing heavy through the mountains or sled pulling, etc. is what gets 95% of the ones that are going to crack.

I have 206k miles on my 53 block with a box on it pushing 35psi of boost and no cracks. then again I rarely tow anything heavier than a couple dirt bikes or jet ski's...
So, are you saing if you have a Quadzilla mileage max box, it shouldn't make it crack? Thanks in advance.

· Registered
14 Posts
Yikes! No offense, but $10,000 for a 98 with 137,000 miles and a "53". You need to come to Texas and shop for a truck.:S:

· Registered
360 Posts
:ditto: thats a bit high priced bud...i got my 99 a year and half ago with 96k on it for $6500 with the lift on it...id keep shopping around some more, you will eventually run across a deal u wont be able to pass up.

· I DONT BELIEVE IT!
1,938 Posts
I have 228,000 miles on my 53 block i run her hard . I paid 10.5 for mine 2 years ago :headbang:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.