Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very close to buying one of two trucks, one is a 98 and the other is a 01, I was wondering what a 53 block is, what is wrong with them and how to tell if the truck has one while I am looking under the hood??? any help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
788 Posts
The 53 block is the one that they say seems to crack easier, It will be stamped somewhere on the passenger side of the block, take a flashlite and just crawl under and look. I have a 53 block and its still intact and holding togather. I wouldnt worry to much about it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read a little bit on it, seems like it might not be that big of an issue because if you look up "53 block" it is hard to find stuff, but the KDP on 12Vs is so easy you cant miss it.... anyone else have an opinion on the urgency of the "dreaded" 53 blocks????????

·
Banned
1,374 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is there any way to tell using the vin number??? I will look before I buy it, should i stay away from the truck if it has one?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hi,

For what its worth, I called Cummins about this one and they said that a relatively small percentage of the "53" blocks do develop a crack in the water jacket that leaks water on the ground under the passenger side of the truck. Some of them crack after 10k and some are still going strong after 200k miles. You never mnow when, but there is a known weakness in the casting of the "53" blocks.

God bless...

Mark

·
Registered
26 Posts
just wondering, they didn't put the 53 block in after 2001 did they?

·
Banned
1,374 Posts
is there any way to tell using the vin number??? I will look before I buy it, should i stay away from the truck if it has one?
if you scared of the 53 block then stay away :thumbsup:beer i just figur if it cracks it gives me an excuse to get a new motor with 0 miles:hyper:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wish, i need a reliable truck, as the family is getting bigger and cash seems to go the other way if you know what i mean!

·
I DONT BELIEVE IT!
1,728 Posts
my 53 blocked has over 2ook on her . hasnt missed a beat yet .:thumbsup:woot:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I have a 2001 but I dont have a 53 block but I do have 98.5 and it is a 56 block, where I found the number was on the driver side of the block just under the vacum pump right above the oil pan seal. :popcorn:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I saw this trucker that had approx 760,000 on a 53 block. He said he got the truck as cheap as crap when it had a blown head gasket at 200,000 miles. he replaced it and had been driving until something happened and somehow his oil pan got hit and his engine went to Cummins heaven. Another trucker I know has over 200,000 on his 2007 5.9.

·
DieselAutoPower.com
6,698 Posts
<- Cracked 53 block here. :mad:

It's still driveable, but the past owner tried to patch it with welds. Welds that spread the crack. I've got it all but sealed up now in on pinhole. When I get ready to change the oil I'm going to pull the turbo. Wire brush the block, glob a bunch of marinetex sealer on it, duct tape it to hold the form. And pray that the leak is gone. It's not caused any issues other than having to refill the truck every so often. And the fact I know it's leaking.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I wish, i need a reliable truck, as the family is getting bigger and cash seems to go the other way if you know what i mean!
By a gas power truck and walk away from the diesel. Unless you are towing some big numbers you will loose money on the diesel for everyday use...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
By a gas power truck and walk away from the diesel. Unless you are towing some big numbers you will loose money on the diesel for everyday use...

Ya that wont work as i tow EVERY DAY of the week, and have been as heavy as 23k lbs with my 12v so i am pretty sure a gaws rig wouldnt hold up, i tow my 30 foot gooseneck with 8-10k on it regularly, I just dont want to register two trucks.

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
Ya that wont work as i tow EVERY DAY of the week, and have been as heavy as 23k lbs with my 12v so i am pretty sure a gaws rig wouldnt hold up, i tow my 30 foot gooseneck with 8-10k on it regularly, I just dont want to register two trucks.
Most of the threads I have read about 53 blocks cracking are on trucks pulling big loads in the mountains. The cracking has been attributed to cavitation in the cooling system creating a hot spot on what is an already thin part in the casting of the 53 block.

This is second hand info I have gathered by reading threads on this forum. Do a search on "53 block" and you will have plenty of reading...

·
Registered
96 Posts
i think you should be ok with the 01 cuz i think they made some 53 blocks in late 98 and quit making them the last year of the 99

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I looked under it and didnt see a 53, or any other number for that matter, will there be another number stamped there??? or just a 53 if it is one of them

1 - 20 of 22 Posts