Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

518 upgrades

2383 Views 16 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Diesel Nut
i have a cummins with a 518 transmission and i want to upgrade it. i have a shift kit and i want to get the 650 dollar goerend converter, i was wondering if i have to upgrade anything else for a 300 to 350 hp truck. i will not be towing much, mabe just 3,000 lbs once a week.

:confused013:
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· 1ST GEN
11,549 Posts
How many miles on the trans?

Has the trans services been done on a regular time table?

:welcome:

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it has 145,000 miles and im not sure about that im the second owner but i change it regularly. i know the truck has never towed much

this tranny feels tighter than my 727 ever did

· 1ST GEN
11,549 Posts
Ok the reason I asked miles. Normaly if I have to drop a trans out for any reason. It gets rebuilt.

Right now your truck is 16 years old with 145k on it. I would recommend doing a rebuild when you drop it. The trans might feel good right now. When you get into the HP range you listed in the first post. It might start having problems.

If you install a new converter now on the old trans. Remember if you have a trans failure. Its time for another new converter.

· Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Please don't spend good monies on a new converter w/o a fresh tranny to install it in. When the tranny goes (a clutch pack) so goes the new converter.

· Registered
690 Posts
Please don't spend good monies on a new converter w/o a fresh tranny to install it in. When the tranny goes (a clutch pack) so goes the new converter.
Wow i did not know that! i was under the impression you could do one at a time:banghead:

· Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Ask Dirty Harry...............if you feel lucky.

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so what exactly should i upgrade, just clutches or should i do the bands also.

and also should i put new bushings and berings in it

thanks

· 1ST GEN
11,549 Posts
There is only one bearing in a Dodge auto. 90% of the time it is still good. The bushing are the same. Look them over real good. If you see or feel any wear replace them. If you find one with excessive wear. Look everything over real good. That trans had another problem causing that abnormal wear.

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so if i put new clutches in it and check bushings i should be good to go rite.

do i have to put overdrive clutches in it if i just use that for crusing and not towing?

· Registered
323 Posts
just do it all while your in there. It will be worth it in the long run

· 1ST GEN
11,549 Posts
Do the whole trans. Don't try to go cheap. It will come back to haunt you.

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so i should upgrade all the clutches even overdrive, is there any other parts i should upgrade in there.

isnt there a spring that holds in the overdrive clutches and dont you need a special tool to get them out?

· 1ST GEN
11,549 Posts
Yes it takes a special tool to replace the OD spring. I have seen a couple of different contraptions that people have made to replace the spring. I don't have any links for them.

· Registered
690 Posts
I wish i knew someone that worked on auto near me. After joing this forum I reaized our autoscant take too much HP increase:doh:

· 1ST GEN
11,549 Posts
The main body of the trans is normaly good for a little over 300Hp in stock form. The converters are good for about 160HP if your lucky.

The problem is most of us bought the trucks with high milage. Without knowing what the other owners have done for routine trans maint.

The fastest way to kill a Dodge auto is to Not due routine maint. The trans filter is the issue. Of the big 3 MFG's Dodge installed the best filter in their auto's. If it is not changed on a regular bases it can cause a trans failure from blocked fluid flow. On a gasser trans you can figure about the 130k to 145k miles the trans is going to die from lack of servicing. The diesels get a little higher milage but not much.

Go by the owners manual. Every 36k change the fluid and adjust the bands.

· Premium Member
3,161 Posts
He's right, and without knowing the history of your transmission better spend the money once.
Get a full clutch kit. It will have all the clutches and steels for the transmission. I reccomend getting the Hi Performance clutches. We use Alto Red Eagle clutches in our transmissions.
Bands, they are available with the front band having a Red friction, however the rear band is only available stock. No big deal as it is only used for reverse and manual 1.

Converter, yes, get a low stall unit, you will be much happier with it.

Put a Mag Hytec pan on it if its in the budget.

On your shift kit, don't be afraid to open the holes up a bit more than they tell you to.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.