Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to my tranny guy today and said he can build me a 518 in place of my 727 with a lockup converter i know ill have to do some mods to make it fit thats ok. but i was wondering about the converter he said the lockup converters can only be lowered a couple hundred rpm. will that be low enough? or will it still have a huge power loss until it locks up? what would you guy's suggest?

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
15,575 Posts
Did he also tell you how many parts he needs to replace to make it a lockup converter. He can't use gasser parts. He would be buying a new input shaft, doing some mod work on the pump assy. replacing the valve body.

A few other things your going to need. 2nd gen engine adapter, 2nd gen starter.

Then your going to need to address OD and lockup functions.

BTW the stall speed is lower on the lockup converters compared to the 727/518 converters.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ill ask him about that tomorrow thanks for the info.
so do you think if he lowers the tc 200 rpm on that lockup it would be low enough and still put down good torque before it locks compared to the stock 727 converter i have now?

·
Registered
164 Posts
This sounds a little fishy to me. If you take a a 518 and make it a lock up you are basically building a 47rh. Just in a more costly way. If you want a lockup trans just build up a 47rh with good parts. I would be alittle leary about it. Not to mention all the other parts you have to get to do the swap and as well as shortening the driveline and moving the transcase back.

But as far as you t/c stall question if you are running stock turbo 1600rpm stall is a pretty good sweat spot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
maybe he was talking about a 47rh becuase i asked for a overdrive transmission i could swap in place of my 727 and he was talking like it already has a lockup and he said he has a case and parts and is just going to build it the way i want what makes a 518 a 47rh other than the tc and parts to make it work?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But as far as you t/c stall question if you are running stock turbo 1600rpm stall is a pretty good sweat spot.[/QUOTE]

what if i go till about 400hp he said it would be fine what do you guys think?

·
Registered
745 Posts
thats what i did to mine. all the parts that philip mentioned, then i had him put in kevlar clutches and 6 pinion steal planets. over drive comes in like normal but i have the lock up on a switch so when i want to lock it up when i want

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just make sure he is not going to run you through the ringer and take your money. A 518 is non lock up trans so the t/c the input shaft the valve body and few other internal parts are different. If you start with a 47rh you would not have to change any of that stuff out except to put in upgraded parts. Like billet input shaft. They would not have to replace the valve body either. Like phillip said with his 6 pinion steel planetaries are a real good investment as well.

As far as you t/c question goes it doesn't matter. When you have a lockup trans you are one to one into the trans when you are locked so stall doesn't mean anything except in intial movement. At 400 hp i would recommend a double disc t/c.

Just make sure that you see what all he is going to build.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
So who is your tranny guy? He sounds familiar.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yes ats is good, but that is a lot of money to shell out. There are good trans guys out there building these things for alot less with the same parts. Alot of the time i feel as if you are paying for that fancy purple paint and the name on it.:spank:

·
www.ATSdiesel.com
592 Posts
we use all of our own parts and build everything here in house and a lot of the parts are patented our design when it comes to transmissions... so while yes there are a lot of good builders and they build good stuff, its not purple paint you are paying for, its lots of R&D to make it better than the rest

but yes, I do understand its not cheap by any means

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the reply's i talked to him today and he's going to start with a 47rh i was just thinking of putting clutches, bands, transgo shiftkit and a low stall converter in it for upgrades. how much hp will it hold like that? are the 6 pinion steel planets that phillip got the next weakest link? and the tranny guy is charging me 2800 canadian to build it with the upgrades mentioned is that reasonable?

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
15,575 Posts
Does that price include the cost of the core 47RH??

What clutchs and bands is he planing on using??

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
thanks for the reply's i talked to him today and he's going to start with a 47rh i was just thinking of putting clutches, bands, transgo shiftkit and a low stall converter in it for upgrades. how much hp will it hold like that? are the 6 pinion steel planets that phillip got the next weakest link? and the tranny guy is charging me 2800 canadian to build it with the upgrades mentioned is that reasonable?
I put $1600+ american in parts and did not get a convertor..... And the cost of the core from Philip...
Then there was building and installing - D#$&^%NM small city lots - no place to work in my driveway and I can't even get the hood of the truck in the garage :S: so most of my serious work is farmed out - $$$$$$ ----

·
Registered
164 Posts
Well along with what you have for upgrades i would recomend and OPEY billet input shaft, the 6 pinion planteries or atleast the five pinion steel planeteries, billet servo, H/D band strut, 5to1 strut lever, and also make sure that the t/c has a billet cover on it.

These are most of the weak areas and are highly recommended if you plan on running over 300hp and haveing the trans live.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Ya that includes the core. He'll be using high energy clutches and bands (im not sure if thats a brand name or what they are) but there supposed to be good and he's putting in new planetary's billet servo a lever too now and he's still charging 2800. the billet 3 disc converter was gonna be $1400 so thats a little out off the budget. he's gonna put a low stall single disc in so i hope that'll be good enough he said it should be ok and usually is up to max 450 hp. so i hope he's right has anyone had any experience with this under high horsepower?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Sounds pretty good, just make sure that the t/c has a billet cover and the planteries are steel wether they be five or six pinions. A single disc t/c setup right will hold that pretty well. Your only weak point now will be the input shaft. They however are pretty spendy they run around 800 so as long as you are not doing 30psi boosted launches should be ok till then.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you know how much hp a none billet tc can hold?

·
Registered
164 Posts
It really doesn't matter what your stock power output is. Even under stock power a non billet cover t/c is getting flexed and that is a bad thing. Granted under stock apps it is not that much but if you start pushing alot of tourque wich at 300 hp you are usually around 800ftlbs they will felx alot on a non billet cover that usually ends up shattering the flex plate and breaking the internals of the t/c.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts