Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been an ongoing project for me. I have a VERY annoying vibration noise when I take my foot of the accelerator and apply my break. It happen when my tac is just under a 1K. It occurred when I put on my 5" TBE. Love the exhaust- great sound - overall happy. (if I can get this to go away.)

I have tried all suggestions.

1. reclocked it
2. lifted it and check to make sure nothing was touching and had clearance everywhere
3. went ahead and welded all parts together
4. put on a new clamp on the turbo

After all of this, I believe I finally located the sound. I truly believe the sound is coming from the heat shield under the passenger side floorish area. It is not touching the pipe but I believe under certain rpms... it cause it shield to vibrate under the floor or plastic or whatever is under the heat shield. It seems to be like the low frequency is causing it.

Has anyone else come up against this and/or have any suggestions for a fix.

Suggestions could be???

1. screw the heat shield with dynomat between the floor panel and shield
2. put some high temp silicon between the floor and shield

Worried about screwing it only to have the sound pop up in another location

Any help or suggestions much appreciate. Sound drives me nutz.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Try removing it first so you can confirm that it is in fact the problem. Then once confirmed you can use just about anything between it and the cab to insulate. Or you could just leave it off because without the stock exhaust there is a lot less heat under there.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I found that the aftermarket exhaust dont have a hanger up by the turbo like the factory does. When I did my tbe I got the same vibration. It was exactly as you describe. So I welded a hanger on the pipe by the turbo and used the stock location and bracket on the trans. Now no more vib. Except I still get a rattle when I close doors from the tank shield. For that one I just keep bending it back every so often.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had the fuel tank shield vibe too.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Mine had a "rattle" caused from the hanger from the exhaust rubbing against the hanger from the frame on the passenger side after the muffler. I hit it with a torch and bent it enough. No more rattle!!! :party018:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Man i wonder if this is what i have. Every Time i put my delete pipe on i get a terrible vibration with a humming like rattle the keeps cycling through. It only happens with the truck in gear, and while sitting at idle. If i put the DPF back on it is gone.... :confused013:

·
Registered
731 Posts
I had the exact same rattle you described with my exhaust (5 in TBE Flo Pro) and it coming from where the exhaust hooks up to the turbo housing. I added a couple extra hangers to the exhaust, and no more issues. It was driving me crazy for a while. I had my wife sit in the truck with it in gear, so I could pin point it. Yeah-I trust her-LOL. Good luck to ya.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 5" TBE rattling against the heat shield around the spare tire. Super annoying and loud. Scared the security guy at work when it did it once..(look on his face was priceless)...

All I did to fix it was lower the spere tire to gain some room, grabbed ahold of it and tweaked it to where i needed it( about an inch away from exhaust) and put spare tire back in... No more rattling. If all else fails, hammer tune the shield and put it back, but dont delete it, its there for a reason.

Hope this helps, good luck!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I found my problem today. The front rubber hanger on the DPF delete pipe was making contact with that heat shield. I bent the heat shield away and it is gone. My AFE delete pipe also was not going all the way into my muffler. I use a ratchet strap to pull the pipe and muffler together which also helped.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts