Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
5" FBD Budget Exhaust Install - now with pics!

My package from Gus arrived last Friday and will be installed after work today. He gave me a great shipped price on a 5inch turbo back with flow thru muffler and 6" stainless tip. I will take photos of the install, and will try to post them later.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it is on. It both looks and sounds great! That 5" pipe is a tight fit, but everything clears nicely (but not by much :D). The downpipe from the turbo is only a 4" pipe, but it is easy to see why. At least on my truck with the 5-speed manual, there is not enough room for a 5" down pipe.

My first impression is that I am very happy with the system. Our biggest problem with the install was removing the stock downpipe that came from the factory - it was pretty coroded.

The amazing thing is that this 5" system (with muffler) is quieter at normal throttle and cruisiing speeds than the 3" system that came off of it. But that is because the old one had so many holes in it, the muffler wasn't doing much good. Cruise volume on the highway is great, and with no drone. But with aggressive throttle this system roars with authority. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Gus!

I'll try to get some pics posted tomorrow.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Got any sound clips of the exhaust?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not yet - it was after dark by the time I got home. But maybe I can figure out how to do that tonight.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well, the battery in my little digital video camera is deader than a doornail and I cannot find the charger. So video/sound clips are going to have to wait. However, following are some photos from the install. They aren't great because it was getting late and the light was not good, but it is what I've got.

This kit is for a 2001 CTD. It is the Farm Boys Diesel 5" budget kit with flow-thru muffler and 6" stainless steel weld-on tip. Here is the kit removed from the shipping carton. From left to right you can see the muffler, 4" down pipe, 5" front pipe with 4" flange for down pipe, 6" stainless tip (at top). And then on the right side from top to bottom you see the 5" mid-pipe, the 5" tail pipe, and the 5" over-the-axle pipe. All parts are of excellent quality.

Here is the box containing all of the clamps and hangers. The hangers are conveniently numbered from front to rear to make it simple.

The rest are installed pics. Here is the 4" down pipe looking up to the turbo outlet flange. Not much room left up there. A 5" downpipe would not fit on my truck for sure.

This photo is looking from front to back of the joint between the 4" down pipe and the 5" front pipe. You can also see the hanger that must be welded to the front pipe. We used a torch to bend the straight hanger around the pipe for more weld surface contact. Note that the clearance between this 5" pipe and the frame cross-member is pretty tight. However Gus was thoughtfull enough to pre-crush/crimp this pipe just enough to clear the cross-member. All you need to do is orient the pipe so that the crimped area is lined up with the cross member, and it fits great.

Looking from back to front, these is the front and mid pipes. You can just see the 5" clamp on the far side of the frame cross member. You can also see part of the hanger on the front pipe that was shown in the previous pic. The hangers all have fender washers and are cross-drill for a hitch pin so that the hanger does not pull out of the rubber hanger bushings.

This photo is from front to rear. You can see the clamp at the front pipe to mid pipe connection, and the muffler to the rear.

This photo is from the rear of the muffler looking towards the front.

This photo is of the over-the-axle pipe looking from in front of the axle to the rear. There is not much clearance between the pipe and the spare tire, but there is enough. You can increase this clearance by dropping the spare tire enough that you can swing it over to the left side. This will buy you about another half inch of tire clearance. Dropping the spare tire also makes getting that over-the-axle pipe into muffler flange MUCH easier.

This is the over-the-axle pipe looking from behind the axle towards the front. This shows the tight fit with the spare tire even better. Face it - 5" pipe takes up a lot of room. :)

The stainless tip is substanial, and impressive. However, I did not like the way that it looked pointing straight out the side at a 90-degree angle from the side of the truck. The tip is long enough that I didn't like how far it protruded from the side of the truck. So we cut off the last bend in the tail pipe and tucked it in underneath at a 45-degree exit angle. Much better - I like this alot! :) This view is from the rear of the truck.

This view is from the side. Please excuse the dirt. This truck really needs a bath.

All in all, I am VERY happy with the FBD kit. This is a great exhaust system for your dollar. Thanks Gus! Another great offerring from Farm Boys Diesel.

·
Premium Member
7,236 Posts
I just installed the FBD 5" turbo back system (with muffler) on my 3rd Gen. I was expecting to have some clearance issues with the massive size of the pipe but there were none! All I had to do was drop the spare to get the tail piece in. When I put the spare back up, I didn't even have to move it over! The fit and finish of this system is better than some high dollar systems that I have installed. The sound is right too. Quiet on the cruise, but lay into it and it comes alive. I'll post some pics and vids when I have time...

Thanks Gus!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just made a 500-mile tow today with 600 lbs. of race wheels/tires in the bed and a 7500 lb. car trailer. There was no drone at all and it sounded awesome! 2 thumbs up on this FBD 5" kit with muffler.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I ordered this kit last week. I rate myself about a 10 in looks and maybe a solid 5 in wrench-worthiness...can I do this alone after work or is that way more than most can chew? (wife is 7 months preg-o so there won't be any "honey, can you pass me a _______")

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
i see the'yre using a two piece tailpipe? i had the same exhaust on my 01 (expandit) and i loved it except for the tailpipe being at the 90*. i welded two tabs and swung the spare tire down towards the rear 2" so i had plenty of clearance for the tailpipe...just a suggestion.

rigmover, you can do it in your driveway...a sawzall or something makes it way easier. i think the hardest part is getting the bolts off the turbo flange loose and that shouldn't be a big deal. a squirt of wd40 on the rubber hangers and the clamps will pop out easy

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess it could be done alone, but would be MUCH easier with another set of hands. We had 2 sets of hands and a lift when we did mine, so I may not be a good judge. The hardest part was getting the old one off.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I think I'll try to enlist some assistance and put my need for immediate gratification aside until next weekend...probably NOT a good idea to start it on a weekday night solo.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I am going to post a video, but it doesn't showcase the exhaust sound very well. My buddy and I were towing to St. Louis a couple of weeks ago. I did not know that he had the camera going when I made this pass, or I would have hammered the go pedal. So, the wind noise masks alot of the exhaust note. But it's all I've got for right now. At any rate, the guy with the camera says that the FBD 5" exhaust sounds awesome, especially under load at full throttle. Just wish I had some video of that...

2001 Dodge Ram with Farm Boys Diesel 5 exhaust - Putfile.com

·
Registered
59 Posts
The FBD 5" is an awesome kit. It was a little bit of a pain because i installed it myself, but it fits alot better than some of the other kits i have seen. Only difference with mine is that i went with the straight pipe, and i know for a fact it will rattle windows at wide open throttle haha.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ordered Friday morning, received Tuesday morning - I got company coming in and am going out of town on Thursday....won't have in installed for at least a week I'm guessing. That is driving me nuts already.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Gus your Fedex guy must hate you - that box isn't too big and it isn't too heavy but there isn't a graceful way to carry it that I found.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
RigMover - Be careful handling the components. There are some very sharp edges on them, especially the muffler. Both I and the fellow helping me do the install sliced our hands or fingers on the inlet or outlet of the muffler. Even though it was worth the pain, maybe you can avoid that. ;)

·
Registered
567 Posts
RigMover - Be careful handling the components. There are some very sharp edges on them, especially the muffler. Both I and the fellow helping me do the install sliced our hands or fingers on the inlet or outlet of the muffler. Even though it was worth the pain, maybe you can avoid that. ;)
I second that advice. Think its just the nature of exhaust work.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts