Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, i am wanting to purchase an exhaust system and like everyone else am having trouble figuring out what to got with. my egt's rise fairly quickly with the set-up i have and i really want to go with a straight 5" system into a 6" tip. I have been reading up that you lose bottom end with the 5 and not with the 4". What do you guys suggest, i want the 5" for the noise and temps and b/c most of my buds are runnin the 4" and of course i don't want the same. The louder the better! What do yall think 4 or 5? I don't believe they make a 5"downpipe either so i know i would go with the 4" downpipe into the 5" Thanks in advance guys!!

·
Premium Member
7,010 Posts
I have a 5" and love it.

Even with my non-existant, simple "mods" I did not notice any problems or side affects.

·
Registered
634 Posts
You will not lose any torque with a 5in system on a turbo charged engine.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Magnaflow makes a 5" system with a 5" downpipe. It starts out 4" & goes to 5" as all kits do because the turbo outlet is 4".It comes with a 6" tip and is all Stainless Steel. It deletes the cat and comes with a replacement muffler/resonator that takes out the loud drone of straight pipes. I really like the sound and looks of mine. I think it was around $545 installed at my shop.

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
i run a 5" from the downpipe back and love it. with a muffler it is actually quieter then the 4" with muffler, just a deeper tone

John:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds good! I am still reading in some threads that you lose power with the 5" unless you are pushing over 500 horses. I don't see why you would but am wondering?!

·
Future Fly Boy!
2,197 Posts
shoot gus a message and get his budget 5" system. I've got the 5" straight and love it to death. The drone actually isnt that bad depending on if you are used to loud stuff or not. As far as power lost, you arent going to loose anything. Get the 5.

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Sounds good! I am still reading in some threads that you lose power with the 5" unless you are pushing over 500 horses. I don't see why you would but am wondering?!
w/ a manual trans you really don't have to worry about losing that much bottom end. i'd just do the 5'' kit and keep the muffler in there, you won't be disappointed.

kyle

·
Registered
7 Posts
Compared to a good sounding Harley how loud is the straight piped 5 inch exhaust? I've ran straight pipes on the bike and can't hack the loudness. It's a bit much. Of course in a truck it wouldn't be quite as bad. THanks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
How about a sound clip from somebody that has it. I've been looking at a 5" system as my next upgrade but I'm going to have to hear it first. My wife will kill me if it's too loud.

I was behind a Cummins the other day, some random guy, and his exhaust sounded like a v-6 1/2ton truck with glass packs or as some have said, a wet fart. Not good at all.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sounds like most vote for the 5inch set-up.
What brand of system is recommended? Also is stainless the best or will the Aluminized be ok?

Input appreciated....

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've heard that since stainless is a denser and better quality metal than aluminized that it has a better sound because it has a less tinny reverberation.

·
Registered
205 Posts
whos gus??
shoot gus a message and get his budget 5" system. I've got the 5" straight and love it to death. The drone actually isnt that bad depending on if you are used to loud stuff or not. As far as power lost, you arent going to loose anything. Get the 5.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts