Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this truck 10 days ago. it is an 04 3500 5.9 six speed, 159k, it has brute force intake, and a banks tuner but there is no controller, just the box wired in to the harness. i have put about 100 miles on the truck. 2 days ago i changed the oil. then went out of town, 60 mile round trip. no problems. I went outside to start the truck today, it is 20 degrees and snowing. The truck starts up, sounds totally normal. I go back inside, get my coat on, come back out 2 minutes later and see that it had puked a bunch of oil out the breather tube. So I decided to fill the oil back up to full on the dipstick, it had puked about 2 quarts in 2 minutes. I started the truck again, it idled fine, sounds fine, the pressure seemed a little bit higher than normal but i figured it was just from the cold. no oil puking until the high idle kicked in, then puke puke puke. So i turned it off again and it gurgled a lot. I called a shop, which i will be taking the truck to tomorrow, and they said it is probably bad rings. is there anything else this could be besides catastrophe?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have an 04.5. I got an update from the shop. They said they replaced the crankcase breather tube assembly due to a blockage. This fixed the problem for 30 minutes while it was in the shop. Pulled it back outside, and The next morning it did the same thing, more oil coming out. So they are suspecting blockage in the oil passages from the head to the bottom end. It was 0 degree temps here this week. So basically they are thinking sludge in the motor combined with cold thick oil caused the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No the oil was coming up the rear head bolt hole Wich is considerably larger than oil journal. So when the oil filled up the top valley in the head it had no place to go but out the blow by tube. I now have a 500 dollar bolt. Bling Bling baby. Ha

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
maybe the P/O took the head off and forgot it it burned oil and said im loosing this, LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts