Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2005 3500 5.9 nv5600 4x4
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all, just reaching out to a forum to see if anybody’s got a smarter brain or has seen an issue that’s been plaguing my truck the last few months. Developed a knock that seems to run bad between 1400-1800 rpm regardless of gear, on an 04.5 with an nv5600 at 190000kms, automatically assumed injectors and did a kill test #3 was suspect.

I’ll skip the nightmares but long story short I replaced all6 injectors with a set of Bosch remans from HD diesel supply. Still knocked. Seemed to be fuel related and I finetooth combed all injection system components(many times) I pulled the head and had minimal scoring on cylinder 1, which easily honed out and well within spec, so rebuilt head and re-ringed pistons . Still knocked.

I’ve replaced or checked almost all consumables From the tcase forward and figured shoot it could be the clutch so I swapped out a Perfection clutch kit( single mass flywheel to throw out bearing) and started up the truck which ran perfect with no knock, until after high idle shut off and I backed the truck out 6 feet. Now I’m having a knock and rattle constantly at idle with the clutch out/released and goes away when engages at idle My brain exploded and I feel to much Disappointment to even look at the truck so I gave it a day or two.

after months of being under the truck under an unreal workload, and a serious concussion working 19 hour days and going back and forth froM military exercises, At the end of my rope and I gotta get this thing up and running. Going to take it for a rip shortly and see if I can get any more symptoms recognized

thanks in advance for any ideas you could shoot my way and I appoligize if this had been mentioned or I’m in the wrong area here

·
Registered
2005 3500 5.9 nv5600 4x4
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just took it out for a while, it knocking hard at any rpm much worse than before, starting to suspect an input shaft issue? Knock and rattle anytime clutch is out, with harder shutters around 1400-1800 rpm. Most noticeable at idle I have no source of uploading but if somebody with any knowledge would be so kind as to email me at [email protected] I could forward the video to you. Thanks again

·
Trying to learn
7,803 Posts
Upload the video to youtube then link it in your post.

Very seldom do reman injectors work out.

·
Registered
2005 3500 5.9 nv5600 4x4
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
here ya are, I’ll get some better footage tomorrow, thanks. I’ve tested all injectors and they’re functioning alright so far but who knows right

3,125 Posts
So you definitely have an NV5600 trans? Cast iron case, reverse gear is to the right and forward?

The reason I ask is because your video sounds like a G56 trans with an aftermarket clutch and you mention converting to a single mass flywheel which is what the G56 has not the NV5600.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sounds like what happened when some teeth broke off on the gear that turns the lower cluster shaft on a gas truck I have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Did you replace the pilot bearing when you did the clutch job?
Have you drained the transmission oil and removed the side cover plates to inspect the gears?

3,125 Posts
Yessir 100% an nv

Just had to confirm that. Some of these old trucks have had numerous trans swaps over the years.

Going by that video, that is really loud gear rollover. Is the transmission hot in that video?
If you rev up the engine just slightly, does the noise diminish?
What fluid do you have in the NV5600?

My 2004 NV5600 got loud hot idle gear rollover when I installed a Southbend dual disc clutch 10 years ago.
It hasn't changed over the years but it drives me nuts since the clutch is noisy when I push it in and the trans is noisy when I release the clutch.
In my case, only noisy when the trans is hot. Noise goes away as soon as I rev the engine just slightly while idling.
I'm now running thicker trans fluid in my NV5600, which reduces the trans noise.

If the noise is only present when the trans is hot, I wouldn't worry about it.
If the trans noise goes away when you rev up the engine slightly, I wouldn't worry about it.

If the trans noise is always there, pull the side covers (as mentioned above) for inspection, don't drive the truck and start researching trans rebuild shops.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you search “NV5600 noise” on YouTube, there are some videos that sound exactly the same. One shows a clutch disc that somehow slips on the drive spline while on the shaft. You may just have a bad disc. Obviously it is related to the clutch and not the engine or transmission.

·
Registered
2005 3500 5.9 nv5600 4x4
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited by Moderator)
hello again and sorry for checking back in so late, I appreciate all the input and help thanks again. Ive uploaded a couple of videos on the lube tube again and here's the videos:

went to a local mechanic and he believes clutch is banging around within the housing(roadside inspection), and i inspected old clutch disk which appears to have about 3/8 inch movement from the splined plate to the clutch plate so im thinking based off all the symptoms, bad clutch discs causing this knocking noise

4 months ago I did a fluid swap in the trans and there was minimal metal film on the magnet for a transmission with 180000 kms and from what I could tell fluid was definitely due for a change but not burnt. removed last week during clutch swap and inspected and all was good, absolutely no chunks shavings or sheen.

did an injector kill test multiple times and noise still persists and is most definitely coming from clutch/bell housing/transmission.

noise is evident throughout temp range but more obvious when hot, and when accelerating especially from a lower rpm the knock becomes a higher pitch and more pronounced. I will be tearing out the transmission again shortly and ill do an extra thorough inspection of all components

thanks again for all the help, cant say enough how much i appreciate it.

·
Registered
2005 3500 5.9 nv5600 4x4
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the clutch movement in old unit is almost directly similar to this video so I will definitely be checking out the new clutch as well.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
1. Defective pilot bearing. Best to put in new FW with the HD inner race sealed pilot bearing upgrade. Last so much longer and prevent bending/snapping off nose of input shaft.

2. Worn out input bearing or cracked broken input shaft housing. May be loose bolts holding housing to case.

3. Check for bent input shaft.

4. Check for loose worn out splines on input shaft, allows disk to wobble.

5. Spend the extra money on HD clutch, single disc organic towing clutch. SD or Valair. Want the one with 8 HD disk springs.
Only thing that stands up to the torque and friction heating of the Cummins.
Too much back breaking work to be continually pulling a 5600

Get that motor oil sample lab test ran. see rghavana post ^^^

1 - 14 of 14 Posts