Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys - 1999 5.9 cummins 2500, body and bed removed for a project. It will be getting a Jeep body on it. First post here hoping for some help!

Since buying the truck in March I’ve recently replaced the cylinder head with a tested/inspected reman and threw in ARP headstuds and a new head gasket. After installing head I have no start. Will run strictly of ether but is cranking normal with no start. Truck was running and driving perfect before and since the head it’s a no go.

fass lift pump and thoroughbred diesel VP44 were each about a year old before I bought the truck. Lift pump is working as it should but I have a feeling injection pump has something wonky going on. When I bleed the rails it shoots intermittently with a ton of bubbles. I’m getting a ton of air in the system from somewhere and can’t seem to figure out where. So here I am hopefully someone here can help out! Thanks guys

Rob

·
Registered
20,546 Posts
Sounds like you have not bled it thoroughtly yet, You need to crank and bleed until you get good squirt instead of air. Probably just not enough cranking yet. Remember crank for 15 seconds and rest for 2 minutes+. Also check the banjo on back of the head for it washer seals and tight. After that check The T fiting below it and all other fittings. Dont open the T fitting if it never has been apart.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you bleed them do you crack all the lines or go line by line? Banjo looks like it’s missing the washer but is snug.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Got to have the washer it will not seal you can be sucking in air and not have a fuel leak

·
Registered
20,546 Posts
First, Replace the washers on each side. Available locally at some parts stores and any Cummins, store, Truck shops and any diesel injection shops. no need to order out.
Then bump starer and make sure you have at least 10 lb injection pump form the bump cycle.
Then Crack lines 1, 3, and 4 and crank about 15 seconds then let cool for a couple of minutes, then keep repeating until you get a good squirt from the injection lines. Close, each as it begins to squirt, preferably while cranking. It should start hitting as you close them and the run fine after one minute.
If you can get to more lines and crack them that is OK.

·
Registered
199 Posts
In addition stop using ether unless you want a catastrophe. It's too volatile and can damage your engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys - threw the washers in and bled them like you said above. Cranked for 15 seconds 4x and then closed the rails and still nothing, just a crank.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
But start and let the fass run a few times, have someone do it for you while you wait for fuel to come out and close the lines. Should only have 1 3 4 open. 2nd Before starting make sure every connection from the ECU. MAP. IAT, VP44 is correctly seated and plugged in 100% than do 15-20s turn overs with 3minutes between. took me about 15-20minutes for my truck to start after a complete head gasket repair.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Ether will not damage a diesel. It will explode if you have an operational grid heater but they jave used ether to start cold diesel for a long time.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The use of ether is fine occasionally but if used to MUCH to often it will wash down the cylinders and cause ring failure and loss of compression

·
Registered
20,546 Posts
Exploding is damaging, I would think.

Cranking 4 times is not usually enough. Sometimes could take 3 or 4 times that. Otherwise it is likely a bad VP.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts