Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gotten the green light to pull a timing gear cover, P7100 and all other parts I may need for a conversion from a generator FOR FREE!!!!!!!!!! I know the pump won't be set right for a vehicle but I want to get it checked out before it goes on the truck anyway. Can a pump shop modify it to work or is it not woth it?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Are you 100% sure that it is a P7100? The reason I ask is that it could easily be an "A" pump instead. The housing and gear (if it's a P7100) will work for you, but I doubt that you'll want to use the pump from that engine because it is probably setup to start up and go straight to 1800 rpm. From what I understand it is pretty expensive to change to a different type gov.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Unless this was a modern generator (unlikely since it has a mechanical pump) with computer throttle control, the pump will be set to hold the engine at a steady 1200 or 1800 RPM. Actually, it will still have a throttle lever, but the lever will be what speed you want the engine to run. If you tried to use it in a truck (and ignore the low redline), it would basically pull as hard as it could until it reached the commanded engine speed by the lever.

It is basically like cruise control, except much more aggressive and faster acting

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
You may want to double check the front cover. Alot of non Dodge applications use a different front cover and will not work.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If the parts are free I would get them. Even if you have to get an automotive injection pump it still worth having the timing housing and drive gear. I say get all of the parts you can. Whats the worse thing than can happen, the parts won't work and your out your time to pull the parts?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts