Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey im new to this and im not much of a motor head. i have a 2006 2500 with the 5.9 cummins. sometimes whenever i hit the gas once i reach 20 mph i can feel the turbo boost. and sometimes whenever i do the same there is no turbo boost. i am completely lost at what this could be. your help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Idk if you know much about how turbos work and such but here is a little background. The turbo works off the exhaust gas pressure coming out of the cylinders. So basically the more exhaust pressure (ie: the more fuel you put into the cylinder) the faster and harder the turbo will spool. So here is what i bielve your expierincing (sp). When you ease into the throttle and reach 20mph, there is not much pressure due to the gradual application of fuel. BUT when you mash the petal to the floor at stand still, there is an enoumous amount of fuel burning which makes a high eshaust pressure causing your turbo to spool. Other factors include is the grounds wet your tires will break loose reducing the load on the engine causing less pressure.....it really all comes down to how fast your going and how hard you mash the pedal.

hope this helps,
Pitman

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Idk if you know much about how turbos work and such but here is a little background. The turbo works off the exhaust gas pressure coming out of the cylinders. So basically the more exhaust pressure (ie: the more fuel you put into the cylinder) the faster and harder the turbo will spool. So here is what i bielve your expierincing (sp). When you ease into the throttle and reach 20mph, there is not much pressure due to the gradual application of fuel. BUT when you mash the petal to the floor at stand still, there is an enoumous amount of fuel burning which makes a high eshaust pressure causing your turbo to spool. Other factors include is the grounds wet your tires will break loose reducing the load on the engine causing less pressure.....it really all comes down to how fast your going and how hard you mash the pedal.

hope this helps,
Pitman
if i stop and mash down on it sometimes you can feel the boost and other times you cant. even on dry ground. sometimes whenever i do this i can feel the boost just shut off and then the check engine light comes on. could this be an electrical problem?

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
if i stop and mash down on it sometimes you can feel the boost and other times you cant. even on dry ground. sometimes whenever i do this i can feel the boost just shut off and then the check engine light comes on. could this be an electrical problem?
Do you have any mods done to your truck? Tunner programer? If you go into your user cp and fill out the sig with info it can help us figure out what's happening with your truck. Our trucks have a electronicly controled waste gate that gets it's signal from the map sensor sitting on the head in front of the intake horn in the intake itself. You can remove that sensor and clean it with a contact cleaner that doesn't affect plastics. You can also cycle the key on off on off on with out starting the engine to get the codes. Can you do this and post what comes up in the odometer read out?

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
it's kind of hard to "feel" boost...you should get gauges so you KNOW the boost

1 - 5 of 5 Posts