Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that Nissan is dropping the 5.0L from the Titan, it would be great if Ram would pick it up as a less expensive diesel for the 2500 with a 14-15000 lbs towing capacity and better fuel mileage.

Would this sell? I for one would be very interested.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I believe 10,990 to 12,640 lbs was the towing capacity in a Titan how could it be 15,000 in a Ram? Not arguing just confused.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I believe 10,990 to 12,640 lbs was the towing capacity in a Titan how could it be 15,000 in a Ram? Not arguing just confused.

That was from a chassis suspension stand point, they were a heavy half ton not a 3/4 ton.
Also the motor never really performed to its potential MPG wise.
The 6.7 is comparable/better MPG and has double the power range.

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
Now that Nissan is dropping the 5.0L from the Titan, it would be great if Ram would pick it up as a less expensive diesel for the 2500 with a 14-15000 lbs towing capacity and better fuel mileage.

There is nothing special about that motor for power or efficiency. Let alone unable to start in normal winter conditions. Several parked CTD Nissan’s in driveways here all winter long.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Owned one of the ealier ones and wouldn't have purchased it other than it was over 10,000 less than a similar equipped Ram at the time. As was previous mentioned it was under powered (310 hp 555 ft lbs. torque), got worse mileage than my 18 Ram 2500, and had cold start issues and wouldn't start without being plugged in below -5 degrees. Even worse when both manufacturer and dealers have no working knowledge of diesels. Overall it"s nothing special and I wouldn't see any reason for Ram to pick it up as the 6.7 is all around a better motor.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
The ISV5.0 is a bus engine. Been in service for well over a dozen years in bus trim. Problems have arisen with packaging constraints in the Titan added to nissan’s NVH requirements, lack of an exhaust brake, and overbearing EGR / SCR which the engine wasn’t designed for. Sorta like trying to make a marathoner breathe thru a twisty straw...

I think it’d really wake the heck up with a better turbo and tuning, but i think a lot of people weren’t willing to gamble with the price they wanted for the darn things.

I was all in if I could get my hands on the Platinum Reserve tester the Nissan corporate folks were driving for ~$30k, but $50-60k+, in a manufacturer with under 15% market share and zero domestic diesel experience, is a BIG ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts