Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have the problem of the transfer case shifter rattling and making a noise like loose coins or gravel being shaken around in a metal can? I took the actual knob off the lever and that seems to have helped, but it still does it.

When you look at the lever it is vibrating at about a million miles an hour, it almost loooks like it isnt even vibrating it is doing it so fast. I tried electrical tape and even teflon tape on the threads then screwing the knob back on but it still makes the noise.

If I hold the lever it will stop the noise. I was thinking of getting a bungee cord and attaching it to the lever and then to somewhere on the firewall to hold the lever more still.

Anyone else have this problem and/or have any suggesitons, thanks.

·
SW Idaho Chapter
294 Posts
yes i have the same problem, drives me nuts. its caused from wear on the shift linkage , i shimmed it with washers to tighten up the play and that worked for a while, but its been getting louder lately.:thud:
always something in need of repair :steam:

·
Registered
50 Posts
yeah, mine does it too. I can push it up alittle and it will stop for a second , then start again. not really that bad of a noise. I just notice it sometimes. I bet you could replace some bushings and it would fix it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I put my hunting vest over mine to dampin the noise some just put a heavy welding glove over theirs.:popcorn:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts