Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Today I just started my truck for the first time in 8 months (back from deployment). Everything was fine except that my 4x4 light is always illuminated on the dash. I've shifted the truck through all the ranges and it engages and disengages 4x4 just fine. As a precautionary, I even jacked up one of the front wheels and confirmed that the wheel would spin or lock based on my 4x4 selection...... so I know its working. The truck drives around just fine at all speeds. I'm wondering where I should start looking in order to fix this problem. The light is annoying and I'll have some free time this weekend to look at it. The truck is a 2004 2500 quad cab with the 6-speed manual. I'll also mention that I have the manual shift transfer case lever on the floor, not the push button. Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The wiring is definitely my first thing to check. Where are the vacuum lines located? I'm having a hard time finding any 4x4 related diagrams for 3rd gens

·
Premium Member
5,564 Posts
No vacuum all electronic/mechanical.
Try and check cluster codes, EMIC(cluster module) monitors 4wd operation.
Key off, press and hold trip button, turn key on (not start), gauges will sweep lights will flash can release trip button
codes appear in odometer.
The text “C Code” is displayed in the odometer VFD for about three seconds. If there is no stored fault information,
the display will show two pairs of zeroes in the format “00” “00”, which indicate that the display of fault
information is done. If there is stored fault information, two sets of two-digit alpha and alpha-numeric fault codes
will appear in the odometer display for a three second interval. The first pair of digits represents a Diagnostic
Trouble Code (DTC), or fault code for the instrument cluster. The second pair of digits is a counter for the number
of ignition key cycles that have occurred since the displayed DTC was set. The instrument cluster will continue
to display additional sets of two pairs of digits at three second intervals until all of the stored codes have
been displayed, which is again signaled by a code of “00” “00”. Refer to the Instrument Cluster Failure Message
table for a description of each fault code that the instrument cluster displays.

Wiring info in 2004 FSM section 8w in Newbies guide here Newbies guide to your new to you truck

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I know on my auto changing one, if the switch is unplugged it does the same thing because the truck doesn't know if it's still in 4wd or not. So defaults to telling you it is to be safe.

On the transfer case has to be a sensor for determining if the transfer case is in 2H/4H/4L/N. Could be it's gone bad or wiring is damaged. So ECU is showing 4WD because it has no idea what it's actually in.

Reactions: Dergeram

·
Renaissance Redneck BCVP
3,922 Posts
So much good info on this forum. All the people that migrated because “change only causes problems” * are missing out.

* Doug Wilson

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No vacuum all electronic/mechanical.
Try and check cluster codes, EMIC(cluster module) monitors 4wd operation.
Key off, press and hold trip button, turn key on (not start), gauges will sweep lights will flash can release trip button
codes appear in odometer.
The text “C Code” is displayed in the odometer VFD for about three seconds. If there is no stored fault information,
the display will show two pairs of zeroes in the format “00” “00”, which indicate that the display of fault
information is done. If there is stored fault information, two sets of two-digit alpha and alpha-numeric fault codes
will appear in the odometer display for a three second interval. The first pair of digits represents a Diagnostic
Trouble Code (DTC), or fault code for the instrument cluster. The second pair of digits is a counter for the number
of ignition key cycles that have occurred since the displayed DTC was set. The instrument cluster will continue
to display additional sets of two pairs of digits at three second intervals until all of the stored codes have
been displayed, which is again signaled by a code of “00” “00”. Refer to the Instrument Cluster Failure Message
table for a description of each fault code that the instrument cluster displays.

Wiring info in 2004 FSM section 8w in Newbies guide here Newbies guide to your new to you truck
I didn't get any related codes but I appreciate the information. That will come in handy in the future. THanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know on my auto changing one, if the switch is unplugged it does the same thing because the truck doesn't know if it's still in 4wd or not. So defaults to telling you it is to be safe.

On the transfer case has to be a sensor for determining if the transfer case is in 2H/4H/4L/N. Could be it's gone bad or wiring is damaged. So ECU is showing 4WD because it has no idea what it's actually in.
OK, that makes a ton of sense. Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know the part number for the switch? I'm looking for one listed as 5134375AA a different one that comes up as 5083138AA.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Not 100%, but looks like it's 5134375AA. The other one looks to be for jeeps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts