Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and could not find a post pertaining to my problem. I have a box stock 09 2500 with a 6 speed manual. 3 times now I have turned the 4x4 knob to engage the transfer case and the light would not quit flashing. The 4 wheel drive was engaged, cause I was stuck in 2 w/d, and even though the light was not on steady, the truck moved.

I do not even know how the 4 wheel drive is engaged with this little knob. I worry that when I need it BAD, it will decide not to work. Could someone tell me how the 4x4 engages, and what about the little light thing?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
It's just an electronic switch that engages a servo that moves the shift fork on the transfer case. Thats the problem with all these newer vehicles, electronics have made things easier but complicate matters imensly when issues arise.
Sounds like a sensor issue, possibly the servo is not making its full stroke and therefore the engagment sensor circuit is not being completed. I have no idea how the circuit works or what your particular issue is but could be something as simple as an electrical connector not making good contact. This will result in the light flashing.
Everything is so intertwined on these new systems that one small problem may affect several other areas. For example, on my 06 Titan, when my ABS sensor went out, I could not engage 4WD. Very frustrating especially when you live in a winter wonderland for 6 months of the year as you are well aware living in Idaho.
Might have to bite the bullet and take it in to dealer or a good mechanic to diagnose.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Spody, I am going to check into a service manual. Since this will likely be the last truck that I will ever buy, a manual would be a good investment.

Dave

·
Registered
535 Posts
Thanks Spody, I am going to check into a service manual. Since this will likely be the last truck that I will ever buy, a manual would be a good investment.

Dave
Did you every figure anything out on your truck? I am having the same issue but not sure if its engaged, light continues to flash in 4 low, but stays lit and 4 hi and works perfect. any advice?

·
Registered
77 Posts
My trucks have done this quite a bit. What i do is fully depress the clutch, and watch it to see if it will stop blinking, if not come out on the clutch a little bit and rock the truck some with the clutch. Works for me everytime.

·
Registered
535 Posts
My trucks have done this quite a bit. What i do is fully depress the clutch, and watch it to see if it will stop blinking, if not come out on the clutch a little bit and rock the truck some with the clutch. Works for me everytime.

Does it do this on BOTH HI and LOW range or ONLY ONE? I have NEVER had an issue with HI, only low. today I tired to roll slowly down the driveway to see what would happen and nothing. I was in neutral though with clutch in all the way. Thanks for the advice, will try that in a bit and see what happens, i've tried probably 12-15 times and no luck so far. Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
It just does it in low, just try to push the clutch in all the way and rock the truck back and forth between 1st and reverse. I had a lot of trouble with mine until i figured that trick out.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Thank you very much, I will have to try it out tomorrow sometime now. sure hope this works. I'll let you know the outcome tomorrow.

·
Registered
535 Posts
It just does it in low, just try to push the clutch in all the way and rock the truck back and forth between 1st and reverse. I had a lot of trouble with mine until i figured that trick out.
So now I feel stupid...The 4x4 LOW and HI work just fine. I guess I didn't have the clutch in the all way..the extra 3/4 of an inch made the difference. I'm guessing its a safety thing so you can't engage low while going down the road on accident, but you can engage HI going down the road without pushing clutch all the way in. As I never put clutch in ALL the way when shifting or putting into gear i didn't notice it not fully pressed in. I never noticed this until after my SB DD was installed. plate pressure threw me off..lol. THANK YOU GUYS FOR THE HELP!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts