Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I was on the way home from work and we got 5" of snow today and i was following a slow car up a hill in 2WD and down-shifted into 4th gear. When i down shifted i started to spin so i clicked it in 4WD while i was slightly spinning since i couldn't stop because of traffic. When the 4WD engaged it made a loud sound in the front end but i don't think anything broke since the 4WD still works fine. Does anyone think i broke anything and is there a way to check i broke anything? ALSO how do i tell if my engine block heater is working properly? I plug in my truck 2.5 hours before i leave and i still takes miles to get the engine temp to 140.

·
Registered
15 Posts
As far as your block heater goes, it should be pretty easy to troubleshoot. Put your hand where the block heater is and it will feel warm if its working properly. On mine i can see i 3 foot circle on the hood where frost hasn't formed overnight.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bummmppppp

·
Registered
57 Posts
In a perfect world it's always best to be stopped when you throw it in 4x4. But i have done the same thing many times ( always take your foot off the gas pedal when engaging) the noise you are hearing is your transfer case engaging. Also your U joints up front take a beating when you engage on the move. The most unfortunate things is Dodge makes a crappy drive train.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was probably going up the hill at 20 mph and maybe spinning 30 mph. I dont feel or hear any noises in the front end so i think i should be fine. I hope so.

·
Registered
225 Posts
You're probably fine, as CanadianCummins says what you heard was likely just the engagement at different wheel speeds front to back. IF anything was significantly damaged you'd hear it now with 4x4 engaged. If you're still worried just start from a dead stop and go through a range of speeds up your street and listen for abnormal noise.
I think at one point everyone has accidently engaged like that, let your foot of the pedal next time.

Reactions: BanksCummins06

·
Registered
842 Posts
I've got a friend that just has to go far enough to spin a little...then kicks 4x in...bad noise is from your transfer case were two gears are running at different speeds...not good ..don't do it again...Lot's of guys get the cad system mindset into their 3rd gens...the two don't mix...3rd gen.(03 up) front ends are in all the time allowing painless shift on the fly...as long as you are NOT spinning the rear tires...

·
Registered
171 Posts
As said never shift while spinning, screw the traffic behind you.

When you plug your block heater in you should be able to hear it start hissing if you listen closely.

Scott

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
The Block heater takes a minimum of 4 hours to get to 80° when it's around 28°. I work nights so I go out around 1:00PM and plug the truck in so it's ready to go when I leave at 5:30. The other day it was 25° outside and I let it run for 4 hours and it was 92°. Now if it was in the teen it would have probably only been in the mid 70s. If it's that cold out I'll go out and plug it in at noon. 2.5 hours really isn't enough time to get things that warm.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
God I love my internet connection at work.... SLOW.... Deleted because of duplicate post.

·
Registered
450 Posts
All 4x4 trucks will bang(slam?) into 4 wheel drive if you are giving them any throttle while engaging. Don't blame it on "Dodge makes a crappy drive train". :doh:
Like was said before let off the throttle, engage, then go on.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
try reading the instructions, they provide them just for this type of situtation where people will give you all kinds of bad advice like stopping etc. unless something is broken when owners manual is followed it will shift smooth as silk ,including 4 low where most people screw it up

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
tired of the block heater myself, wonder if I can get an element from my water heater to go in the block instead ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts