Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm new to cummins and dodge. I bought a 2006 ram 2500 cummins 4x4 with the "shift on the fly" electric transfer case. It was apparently stuck in 4x4 so it came with the front driveshaft off and a remanufactered 4x4 shift motor. When I went to go put the new actuator on the gear on isn't lining up with the spline on the tcase. When I plugged the actuator in and try to change into 2wd or 4low it doesn't move at all. I'm thinking it could be wiring issue? Or the switch? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
You have the transmission in neutral? They won’t move unless the transmission is in neutral. You may have to have your foot on the brake also.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
In that case it has to be a wiring issue, switch issue, or you got a bad motor.

·
Premium Member
6,693 Posts
For 2006 MY
Got oil?
check fuse in TIPM?
check codes in ECM and/or EMIC(cluster) help narrow down if mechanical/electrical
It is a electric motor, open up and find positive and negative, apply power to test.

·
Registered
692 Posts
For electrical diagnosis, I'd suggest using the FSM or Ram Body Builder data to troubleshoot/test. Depending on the DTC set, each code has specific tests to help pin point wiring or module problems. And knowing which DTC is set, will help save a ton of time performing tests/isolating components, etc. FYI: shift motor wiring can be found at 8W-31-17 and 18 of the FSM. Pin 6 of the shift motor is battery positive, B(+). Before applying ANY power, double check connections/terminals first....proceed at your own risk.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts