Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

4wd problems!!!

2067 Views 17 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  vintagespeed
i have a 03 dodge 2500 4x4 5.9l cummins, 6 speed manual which only in 4wd has a really bad klunking you can totally feel. its like tension building up then releasing only when turning or going up hills. i had three different ppl take it for rides and all said different things. first one said transfer case second said front end and third transmission. no problems in 2wd. anyone ever herd of any problems like this b 4?
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
502 Posts
Mine does the same thing in 4wd only when I'm turning fairly sharp. I asked around here and was told a little tire hop when turning was normal and not to run 4wd on the road. But don't take my word for it. Hopefully the experts will chime in.

· West Virginia Chapter VP
1,369 Posts
I would say you need to take a good look at your front axle joints.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the steering for the front end was just reciently replaced but i dont know if the axel joints were. just took it to the dealer and they said deff not the transmission cuz it wood do it in 2wd as well as 4.

· Registered
97 Posts
I agree with PWTP. I have always heard it was the axle binding up because of the U-joints not being lubed properly or the turn is too sharp. I could be wrong but that is what I have been told.

· Registered
677 Posts

· Registered
151 Posts
I had an '04 with a nearly froze axle u joint. It was fine going in a straight line but when I turned into my driveway I could hear it and feel it.
Mopar replaced both of them under warranty. Turn the wheels hard one way or the other. Jack up each side, one at a time. You should be able to turn the tire easily. If not, you have a shot U-joint.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
finally got it to the shop replaced the cracked case, found that the chain inside streached and a tooth on a gear bad. no more grinding when when turning anymore so far in 4wd! havent drove it myself but the mechanic showed me how he thinks there is a building of tension in the rear end while in reverse? my abs light and break light are still on but i think that is cuz my e brteak pads are low on meat. he thinks the sensor might have something to with it? or maybe the front end? he said hes worked on them for years and never came acrost anything like it be for? any of yal come acrost this be for? could it just be because its in 4wd and turning in tight aeras on asphalt?

· Admin/Mod
10,685 Posts
if you are in 4x4 and turning on dry pavement, you are begging something to break... all 4x4 will do the pop & hop in that situation...

· Premium Member
10,324 Posts
The front axle on these trucks is quite noisy, relative to multiple other 4wds I have driven, so some of it may be normal.

With all the TQ and weight of the Cummins you shouldn't be using 4wd on improved surfaces.

ABS and Brake light have nothing to do with pad lift, there are no monitors.

· Registered
111 Posts
Mine started popping a little in 4h. Then it progressed into the feel of a m-1 abrahams at 50mph in 2wd. It apparently shattered the ball socket in the knuckle on the front shaft.

· Registered
553 Posts
if you are in 4x4 and turning on dry pavement, you are begging something to break... all 4x4 will do the pop & hop in that situation...
^^^^^ this.

OP, do not drive ANY part-time 4wd on dry pavement in 4wd!

who is this "tech" that said he's "never heard of that before"? jeez....

front & rear wheels turn at a different rate when turning, this is transferred through your drivelines to the t-case which has NO differential when in 4wd...

· Registered
553 Posts
...It apparently shattered the ball socket in the knuckle on the front shaft.
?? what is a ball socket front shaft knuckle ??

:D

do you mean a ujoint on the axleshaft?

· Registered
111 Posts
?? what is a ball socket front shaft knuckle ??

:D

do you mean a ujoint on the axleshaft?
oh no. i did wheel joints some time ago. front drive shaft. two piece. there is a knuckle with two joints and a ball socket in between. exploded mine:shots:

from what i understand. dodge wont release parts to fix...so either build or buy.

· Registered
553 Posts
oh no. i did wheel joints some time ago. front drive shaft. two piece. there is a knuckle with two joints and a ball socket in between. exploded mine:shots:

from what i understand. dodge wont release parts to fix...so either build or buy.
ahhh, the front driveshaft CV joint! :D gotcha!

i thought this thread was about axleshafts!

when someone says knuckle, i think outer steering knuckle on the front axle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.