Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my truck will not go into 4wd low i dont know if its the vaccum lines or what...it will go into 4wd hi but the shifter wont go down into low. it just gets stuck in nutural and wont go down any further plz help

·
Registered
10,784 Posts
definitely nothing to do with vac as that is only for controlling the CAD actuator

Sounds like you either have a damaged/rusted to hell linkage or the range fork could be damaged in the tcase.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the interior was replaced on the whole thing before i bought it. could that have something to do with it. culd the person before hand messed it up

·
Registered
10,784 Posts
its entirely possible that they f'd up the linkage, but i dont really see why they would have even done anything with it if they were only replacing the interior.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how much am i looking at to fix it...easy fix or no

·
Registered
10,784 Posts
you have to figure out the problem first...

If its just a rusted up linkage, its free...
If its a beat up linkage, might cost a few bucks at a scrapyard
If its internal (IE range fork) your looking at probably a couple hundred by the time everything is done (doing all the work yourself)

Reactions: Cummins___

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info

·
Registered
275 Posts
If it is the range fork messed up and that is all you want to replace I just replaced mine and got a brand new fork from WIT Transmissions for less than $70. I did the work myself and didn't have $100 in the whole job.

·
Registered
142 Posts
get under the truck and look at the linkage. It's common that linkages get rusty so thats a good place to start. If it is use a good penetration oil and have someone start moving the lever while you keep spraying the linkage.
It's not a vac issue.
Very unlikely that it has anything to do with new interior but thats easy to check aswell. Just remove the boot around the shift lever and check if anything is interfering with lever travel.
If its internal then thease other guys would better be able to walk you through the repair. GL

·
Registered
114 Posts
well the interior was replaced on the whole thing before i bought it. could that have something to do with it. culd the person before hand messed it up
Assuming it's not linkage and not the fork, I can think of one other part that will keep you out of 4lo. If the snap ring on the input gear is missing or broken, it's not likely to go into 4-low. You may hear a bit of gear grinding with pressure on the shift stick, and may occasionally get it in briefly, but will likely not stay.

Similar circumstances led me to that "revelation."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts