Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a 1998 Dodge dually and for the life of me, I cant get the 4wd dash light to go off. Although when running down the road at speed, the light will flutter a bit. I have stopped and tried numerous different position of the shifter, but with no luck. Normally, I would not worry to much about this since I know its NOT in 4WD, BUT it messes with my Gear Vendor overdrive, so I need to get this fixed.
Is there a simple sending unit on the transfer case that can be replaced? Is it an easy replacement?
Thanks for the support!

Ken

·
Premium Member
16,203 Posts
The light switch is on the front axle in the CAD and is easy to get at and test.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The light switch is on the front axle in the CAD and is easy to get at and test.

Dang! What would I do without this site?!?!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Dang! What would I do without this site?!?!
Many an unfortunate soul have taken to driving a duraMax were it not for this site.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Are you hubs still enguaged? if so might be a vacuum issue... mine even stayed on once because something was frozen in CAD and went off once i left it in a heated shop overnight

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Check and make sure the CAD is disengaged. If not there is a vacuum problem, it is froze or the accuator has stopped working. My 98 was NOT going into 4x4 so I opted to eliminate the CAD..

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check and make sure the CAD is disengaged. If not there is a vacuum problem, it is froze or the accuator has stopped working. My 98 wa NOT going into 4x4 so I opted to eliminate the CAD..
CAD? Not up on that acronym. Also, my 3500 does not have locking hubs, so I can rule that out. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
CAD= Center Axle Disconnect. Its the vacuum actuator that links your axles together to achieve 4x4. The picture above is the CAD unit.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CAD= Center Axle Disconnect. Its the vacuum actuator that links your axles together to achieve 4x4. The picture above is the CAD unit.
Of course, I should have looked at that diagram again-What is the best/easiest way to know its disengaged?
What is odd is my 4WD light will stay off at lower speed, barely come on at around 35 and past that, its a solid light....

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Raise the front axle off the ground and turn the wheels, if it turns the driveshaft turns = engaged.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Raise the front axle off the ground and turn the wheels, if it turns the driveshaft turns = engaged.
Makes sense! Did some of the vintage Dodge's have locking hubs? Only reason I ask is a previous poster had said to make sure the hubs are turned. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Makes sense! Did some of the vintage of Dodge's have locking hubs? Only reason I ask is a previous poster had said to make sure the hubs are turned. Thanks!
The 1st Gen trucks from 89' to 93' had the manual locking hubs.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Makes sense! Did some of the vintage Dodge's have locking hubs? Only reason I ask is a previous poster had said to make sure the hubs are turned. Thanks!
He was probably saying the same thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts