Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I know with some brackets one can put a fourth gen front bumper on their second gen. What I was wondering is would those same brackets also work for aftermarket fourth gen bumpers, and if so has anyone done this before?

I realize that some possible modifications would need to be done to the bumper and/or the fenders etc. but I wonder the plausibility of that. Some of the 4th gen aftermarket bumpers are a lot better looking that the 2nd gen ones available, some of them being a little cheaper too.

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
14,242 Posts
If you have a welder and fabricating knowledge anything can be done. But using the adapter brackets, not likley. Most aftermarket bumpers bolt to the frame, while the adapter brackets you speak of bolt to the frame and adapt to the 4th gen bumper brackets, so the brackets you would normally use to adapt something would not be used in most aftermarket bumpers. But if you or a buddy have a welder and can fab something up, you should be able to adapt just about anything with enough time and effort

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
The generic 2nd to 4th gen front bumper adapter brackets are too thin and not suitable to use for adapting an aftermarket bumper. As Loki said, you can fab your own brackets no problem.

·
Registered
327 Posts
If you have the capacity to make brackets, and build them strong enough they end up being stronger than the frame and bumper. With the 1.5" difference from 2nd gen to 4th gen outside frame measurements, I laminated 3 plates 1/4" thick each, and created brackets for my sons 2nd gen. When he hit a 16 Lincoln MKZ headon, the brackets survived without an issue. His frame bent in 3 places in front of the axle. We are using the brackets on the rebuild and frame swap. LOL So the only limitation of what will and will not work is your (or your friends) skillset.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.