Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought I'd post this Thread on my mirror swap. I know that a few guys have done it on 3rd gens. But I have not seen anything on anyone doing them to the new ones yet. Just so you know I used the idea from another thread in here where a guy posted his 3rd gen and had very good Pictures of how he did it. for the newer it is similar but not everything was the same. So here we go These are an Ebay mirror and cost me about 150 they have the turn in the front but not in the Glass they also have the reverse light which i wired up to the puddle light wire. Below will be Pictures of everything I am talking about. As far as fitment well I just took my time and ground on the mount and some on the body to acquire the fit i was happy with. You end up grinding all but about 5/16 on the bottom front of the mount and about 1/2 on the top rear and you leave most of the lug on the bottom rear. I choose to grind away the door skin since these trucks have a 1/4 inch plate in the middle that I could both to instead of the thin sheet metal. I also had to grind a little away for the plastic mounting tabs on the mount to get it to fit up tight. I know the other post for the 3rd gen he only had to drill 1 hole and ablong another but for me i wanted mine to fit up and even with the rain guard and window trim so I oped to drill all 3. I took a Drill bit and drilled the holes for the studs all the way through with a #9 Drill so i could transfer punch the location to the door then I taped the holes in the mount deeper with a M6x1.0 Tap.Thats about it for the mounting. Then was the nightmare of wiring. Let me tell you that there is no diagram on the net for the mirrors so I have done the hard work for you and that is posted in the pictures.Also is the Plug that was on the GM mirrors. Your color may vary but the wire placement should be the same as long as you get 2015 to 2019 Chevy tow mirrors. Now Mine dont have the turn in the mirror but that's only one wire I'm sure if you able to get them to fit you can surly know what that wire is for. FYI The mirror functions are as follows up is up down is down but left and right ARE backwards due to the motor being on the opposite side of the mirror trust me I tried every combination with the 2 wire and this is how it worked the best. How ever there is one that it would work correct but the up and down moved in a diagonal motion and was slow moving. As far as the Reverse light i chose to use the puddle light wire since it was already there and I thought it be cool and it is and they are BRIGHT. But they don't shine down but you can see 40 feet behind you. Again I have attached all the pictures I can think of of I did it and how they look from all angles. I know a bunch of you guys are going to say what a DumbA$$ but you know now my blind spots are gone. along with no more readjusting when i need to pull my 5th wheel or guys calling my Dumb BO or Moose Antlers if I leave them up. Not to mention They look so so MUCH better. Good luck and I hope this helps someone.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Looks awesome! U should think about grabben a few sets and doing up the wiring and selling the sets ready to go w instructions im sure some might buy them ready to go....

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks and yes I have thought about it and I'm currently looking for the dodge plugs to use instead of having to go to the dealer. I also have figured out how to make amd machine a replacement mounting bracket for the ones I bought is will be an easy swap and use the dodge bolt holes and the chevy cover but you may have to still trim for the little tabs. As long as life dont get in the way I'm hoping to have working models in about 2 months. As long as I can find the correct plugs.

Looks awesome! U should think about grabben a few sets and doing up the wiring and selling the sets ready to go w instructions im sure some might buy them ready to go....

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Hey great job and thanks for the write up on how you did it. I can't wait till I can get started on doing mine.

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
5,211 Posts
Kinda wish whats her name was still around to see this, the gal with the oufit that was going to try and make a kit for this, would've saved them a ton of R&D that they never got finished off

Good job man! I don't think i'd do it myself, but i love seeing this type of stuff

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks and yes I have thought about it and I'm currently looking for the dodge plugs to use instead of having to go to the dealer. I also have figured out how to make amd machine a replacement mounting bracket for the ones I bought is will be an easy swap and use the dodge bolt holes and the chevy cover but you may have to still trim for the little tabs. As long as life dont get in the way I'm hoping to have working models in about 2 months. As long as I can find the correct plugs.
Let me know id be interested because i got no time to get as involved as u did

Do they have heating and all lights work correct?

Can u post a video of them being auto folded extended and everything to see how it works on the ram?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The ones I bought are not auto folding or extend. Everything works as I wanted it to besides mirror adjust left and right are backwards. That is due to how the mirrors are made and the motor is on the opposite side of the mirror then the stock
Ram mirrors. So not much you can do about that.
Let me know id be interested because i got no time to get as involved as u did

Do they have heating and all lights work correct?

Can u post a video of them being auto folded extended and everything to see how it works on the ram?

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
5,211 Posts
Yeah, but she was active on the 17th.....lets see if this tag works and perks her interest @CNS8888

1 - 20 of 36 Posts