Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought mine with 5Ks. I see everyone running 4Ks. Is this something I should want to change in the future? What do you guys think?

·
The Uppity 12v Admin
8,224 Posts
If you like the way it drives, I would leave them unless you're concerned about yourself or someone else over-revving the motor.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've also noticed it has to spin over for a bit before it fires unless you bump the throttle. Could these be connected?

·
The Uppity 12v Admin
8,224 Posts
Probably. That's often an unintended side effect of trying to tame the 5ks down to be smooth for street driving. You can also increase the idle or preboost settings to get a faster no-throttle start.

You can also loosen them a click, and readjust the idle to normal. This will cost some RPM up top, and remove some throttle response, but will quicken the startup significantly.

·
Registered
13,913 Posts
I've also noticed it has to spin over for a bit before it fires unless you bump the throttle. Could these be connected?
indication of tight gov springs.

i like my 5ks. they ran circles around the 4ks i had before. should be even better now they have been tuned on a bench.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
You wont notice a difference between the two unless your timing is 27+. Throttle bump to start can be had on 4ks or 5ks. How they were installed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So.... Can I fix this without losing throttle response?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I had to bump the throttle with 4ks, backed them off one click each and didn't notice a top end rpm loss, but it starts now without pedal input but the response is noticeable but nitrous help that! :nos: I'd leave the 5ks and back them off a click and see what happens

1 - 9 of 9 Posts