Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it A) possible, B) plausible, C) Practical?

What would I need to accomplish this goal and would it be worth the effort if I'm looking for something to run bio in and try for exellent Fuel mileage?

Would this swap be better suited to making power and haulin' :butt:?

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Banks did the 5.9 in a dakota:thumbsup So I dont see why you couldnt put the 4 cyl in one:beer

·
Registered
565 Posts
I've got a 2002 V6 Dakota I'd love to swap, that POS only gets like 15 MPG.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Yeah I think it would be possible...pretty cool too. I have seen a few rangers with a 4bt in them. Would make a heck of a daily driver!

·
Cummins Whisperer
796 Posts
Here's a picture of Rob's truck. I don't know if he's on here but he is on TDR as 6BT-Dakota.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That makes me all happy inside. Cuz he got a 12v in his and those engine bays are smaller than the one in the Dakota I'm getting (1995 318ci V8, 5spd 4wd). I'll either swap it into that Dakota or get another one (probably an extended cab) and do it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
interesting..

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I don't understand why you'd do the conversion in something as plain-jane as a late-model Dakota...

Should be done in something unique and vintage, I say...

·
Registered
565 Posts
I don't understand why you'd do the conversion in something as plain-jane as a late-model Dakota...

Should be done in something unique and vintage, I say...
I want to because,

1) It's a cummins
2) it's not as huge as my dually
3) would probably get 25+ MPG in a 1/2 ton chassis.
4) would tow really well
5) awesome daily driver

that would be unique enough for me :thumbsup

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Yeah, but I'd rather put one in something like a '60-'66 Suburban. Or an IH Travelall. Or an old Willys (although there seems to be a lot of those anymore). Or a Jeep Gladiator. AMC Gremlin. '51 Chevy pick-up. Rat-rod T-bucket. Something classic.

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
To each his own Begle! I thought that truck looked pretty good. Just think of the weight to torque ratio, that thing could be awsome if it is turned up very much.

AMC Gremlin?? Not sure I would call that a classic but like I said, to each his own.LOL

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
To each his own Begle! I thought that truck looked pretty good. Just think of the weight to torque ratio, that thing could be awsome if it is turned up very much.

AMC Gremlin?? Not sure I would call that a classic but like I said, to each his own.LOL
:lol3: I think a Cummins in nearly anything is pretty cool.:thumbsup That must be an awesome daily driver.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a '92 Dakota and have the same plan as you. Im looking for a delivery truck with a 4bta and a turbo-400 to do the swap with. Mainly for fuel economy because the 318 is gettin pricey and its ready to blow

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
:lol3: I think a Cummins in nearly anything is pretty cool.:thumbsup That must be an awesome daily driver.
I agree.
I is very possible. I seen it done before. I have seen a 5.9 put in a Dakota. (not the banks one) He had a 1/2" form the fire and a 1/2" from the radiaotr. The 3.9 would be prefect, I have also seen them in durango too.

There a bunch of people that did it at 4btswapd.com

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm thinking of having a relatively inexpensive 4wd diesel truck that has enough power to pull a small, flatbed car trailer and get decent mileage and I want something a little older and sturdy enough to use for experimenting with bio diesel. I wanna get a '98-'02 1 ton single tire long bed extended cab 4wd in about a year and put a P7100 pump on it but until then, I'd like to have something that is new enough that i am familiar with working on it without having to make anything custom other than the essentials (motor mounts, oil pan, exhaust, etc.). I'm thinking more practical than fun. If I have to have no power steering or power brakes, that's fine with me. I can even do without A/C, as long as I have a heater for the winter time.

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
Thats the nice thing about the 5.9 and 3.9 they didn't change much, and what they did change was in the outside and the core parts like the blocks stayed the same.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I'm thinking of having a relatively inexpensive 4wd diesel truck that has enough power to pull a small, flatbed car trailer and get decent mileage and I want something a little older and sturdy enough to use for experimenting with bio diesel. I wanna get a '98-'02 1 ton single tire long bed extended cab 4wd in about a year and put a P7100 pump on it but until then, I'd like to have something that is new enough that i am familiar with working on it without having to make anything custom other than the essentials (motor mounts, oil pan, exhaust, etc.). I'm thinking more practical than fun. If I have to have no power steering or power brakes, that's fine with me. I can even do without A/C, as long as I have a heater for the winter time.

good luck towing with a Dakota... I've never actually driven one, but I've driven enough S-10's to know that towing isn't dependent so much on power, but more on stopping and spring capabilities. Small pickups get awful squirly in the front end when you load em down... I love your idea though; that would be sweet to have a little fuel sipper like that.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts