Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have read some posts about a Cummins 4cylinder. Where can I find info on this motor? Some claim 33mpg and plenty of power in a half ton pickup. Wwhat vehicle come with this motor from the factory. This is new to me.. Thx

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I think the new ones put out nearly as much power as the 6b in the first/second gen dodge trucks
If I remember right they put out around 140hp/370ft/lbs of torque. But my memory might be wrong on that.
It's a 3.9l inline 4. I don't know much else about them.
I found a site a little while ago where they were being sold kind of as a crate motor or soemthing like that.

Would be an awesome little motor to have in a jeep or old fj 62 or something cool like that.

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
Hi guys,

I have read some posts about a Cummins 4cylinder. Where can I find info on this motor? Some claim 33mpg and plenty of power in a half ton pickup. Wwhat vehicle come with this motor from the factory. This is new to me.. Thx
Thats me read my sig. Try ebay, cores4u.com, arsco.com, dovebid.com are couple of places that you can find them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
About how much is a crate engine or how much for a complete running takeout?
I have a 98 Wrangler that would be sweet with a little cummins.

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
About how much is a crate engine or how much for a complete running takeout?
I have a 98 Wrangler that would be sweet with a little cummins.
arsco.com sells a complete running engine acorrding to them. It comes with trans, alternator injection pump turbo, starter etc. for about $3000.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
We run a couple of them on our drills.

We use the older p-pumped 3.9s, [email protected] I think someone on here has one thats done up to the nuts, something like 500-600hp!

HERES some info on the 'older' engines

Looks like they ditched the 3.9 for tier3 though, went to a lil 3.3! cant tell ya too much about them though. We just purchased one to put on one of our smaller drills. hopefully its a decent engine...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Are the 4bt's turbocharged?

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Yes

Available with an aftercooler or intercooler

Heres a crappy pic of the 130hp p-pumped 3.9 that we run. Pic was when i just picked it up at cummins so it was still wrapped.

·
Registered
331 Posts
U can find them in frito lay and UPS vans. Depending on the age, they came with a TH400, and 4L80E trannys on a GM chasis. I have also read that some were put into ford chasis in this type application.

·
Registered
220 Posts
shoot, now I'm going to have to find something just to put a 4bt in it! :D I'm trying to get a 93 RX-7 back on the road. Let's see ... a 4bt instead of a 1.3L twin turbo rotary, hmmm ... Naaaaah, don't think that would be too cool. When the wankel goes, I'm serious wanting to put a LS7 in it. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts