Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2004 not an 04.5 it is a crew cab dually 4x4 what trans do i have because the tranny gut a few shops down from me was tellin me it was the same trans that ford runs behind their powerstrokes

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
i have a 2004 not an 04.5 it is a crew cab dually 4x4 what trans do i have because the tranny gut a few shops down from me was tellin me it was the same trans that ford runs behind their powerstrokes
48re.

The 1994-1997 PSDs had the E4OD
The 1999-2003 PSDs had the 4R100
The 2003+ PSDs have the 5R110

Personally I would not go to a trans shop that confused those transmissions.:w:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well luckily i dont do bussiness with that trans shop and any tranny work i need done i go to my father inlaw that man know what is what but i havent been able to get ahold of him and ask thanks for the help i knew that guy couldent be right

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
well luckily i dont do bussiness with that trans shop and any tranny work i need done i go to my father inlaw that man know what is what but i havent been able to get ahold of him and ask thanks for the help i knew that guy couldent be right
Yeah I am no trans expert and maybe the guy was getting at they had a similar design, 4 speed auto with lock up, but I dunno even that that is most diesel transmissions since the mid 1990s.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
i also have a EARLY 04,though was manufactured in October 2003..what TRANNY DO I HAVE?because there is a guy selling a darn cheap 47re with warranty and all bulletproof that lives 200 miles away and im really interested in it if it fits on my 4x4 dodge,hope it does..ANY HELP?

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
i also have a EARLY 04,though was manufactured in October 2003..what TRANNY DO I HAVE?because there is a guy selling a darn cheap 47re with warranty and all bulletproof that lives 200 miles away and im really interested in it if it fits on my 4x4 dodge,hope it does..ANY HELP?
The 47re stopped in 2003. Starting in early 2004/late2003 the 48re took over. But it maybe possible to run a 47re in a 03-04.5 48re...maybe...one of the transmission gods should see this and help ya out.:thumbsup

·
Registered
508 Posts
My truck was built in March 03, and I have the 48RE. The 48REs are exclusive after Jan. 03

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Whats the difference in a 48re and 47re?cause seriously $3,500 a full built tranny is just amazing,guys going bankrupt and wants to sell parts seperate before going bankrupt and well its just one hell of a deal!!cant miss out on it

·
Premium Member
15,499 Posts
Whats the difference in a 48re and 47re?cause seriously $3,500 a full built tranny is just amazing,guys going bankrupt and wants to sell parts seperate before going bankrupt and well its just one hell of a deal!!cant miss out on it
It will work just fine in your truck. :thumbsup

·
Registered
39 Posts
48re vs 47re
same case, bolt pattern, extension, OD etc. 48 I believe has more friction plates in the clutches and the valvebody(if stock) was made to almost match what the guys at work where doing to them before on their own trucks.

·
ATS Diesel Performance
295 Posts
48re.

The 1994-1997 PSDs had the E4OD
The 1999-2003 PSDs had the 4R100
The 2003+ PSDs have the 5R110

Personally I would not go to a trans shop that confused those transmissions.:w:
X2 - That's SCARY!

Side note, the E4OD was also used behind some of the Ford IDI engines, as far back as '89.

The only issue you'd really run into trying to run the 47RE in place of your 48RE would be adapting the neutral switch in the tranny, which you should be able to do with a sleeve in the case.

·
Registered
39 Posts
yep I forgot about the wonderful E PRNDL that replaced the neutral switch added to commonize dash wiring to all digital.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts