Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05' 2500 4x4. 80% of the time transmission shifts fine, but sometimes when coming to a stop the transmission only shifts down to 2nd gear. It is not downshifting to 1st. Even manually shifting it to 1st does not work. The only way to get it to go back into 1st is to put it in park shut off the motor restart and put back in drive. Then it shifts correctly.:banghead: I have taken it to the Dodge dealership and they say no problems. Sounds like a computer problem? But dealer says its not flashing any codes. Any clues? I'm stumped.

·
06 Cummins
69 Posts
it could be the solenoid in the pan next to the valve body down there. Mine in my 06 went bad plus the TC and valve body.

Reactions: 1st dodge cummins

·
Registered
356 Posts
05 2500 shifting issues

I too have the same problem with my 05 3/4 4x4 truck, also at times the tranny will pull akwardly on take off and other times she wont act up at all, the power is good in all gears. Have not taken it to dodge cause I want to try to find out what it is myself before I bring it to someone that will say "rebuild or new tranny" and it doesnt need it, they will take the old tranny fix a small problem sale it and make that much more money off of me.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Likely governor sensor and or solenoids, there's TONS of threads on this.

The key is getting a knowledgeable guy to road test the truck with a datastream capable scan tool.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ok so I had my trans rebuilt. After 10k I started to have probs again. The shop rebuilt it and seems to think that my Bully dog is the prob. He told me it needs more throttle pressure. He said on the 05's he could adjust them manually by the cable to increase it but can't on the 06"s. Does this sound right? Is there a function on the Bully Dog for this? Looking for some help on this.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
The 05 also had the TV Motor, this device is control by the trans module in the ECM, Yes BD may have effect it operation (incorrectly) but I doubt it.also if the TV motor malfunction(s) it will destroy the trans in quick order. it is my most feared device on trannies we rebuild or purchase.I generally keep the vehicle for at least 1 or 2 days or 100 miles to check its operation (Pressure) is correct.

04 & earlier had TV cable

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ok. So what does that mean/ I guess I just don't know enough about transmissions. What can I do to help with my problem short of taking off the BullyDog? For now I'm going to just put it back to stock.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Any way to test the TV motor?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ok. So what does that mean/ I guess I just don't know enough about transmissions. What can I do to help with my problem short of taking off the BullyDog? For now I'm going to just put it back to stock.
I think i'm having the same issues. Gears are not catching unless i turn off truck and turn back on. Even reverse has the same issue.

What was the outcome of your issue. Thanks in Advance.

·
Premium Member
12,048 Posts
For the occasional Governor pressure solenoid hanging try some tranny slicker upper additive. I have seen it work wonders but sometime replace of solenoid is required to fix.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I just looked under the truck and there is some kind of fluid all over. Not sure if it is from the blow by valve.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
48re jumping gears.

I have a 2006 2500 big horn, truck is great but i have been experiencing a problem at around 15 to 25 mph, tranny can not decide what gear it wants to be in, it will jump from 3rd to 2nd even if i have my foot barley on the gas, if i hold my foot just right it will bounce back and fourth between 2nd and 3rd gear.
I have taken it to dodge and had an update done and a tranny flush, they say they have no clue and they will have to take it apart to determine the problem, shes off warrenty so i really want to avoid this if i can $$$$
any ideas???

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a 2006 2500 big horn, truck is great but i have been experiencing a problem at around 15 to 25 mph, tranny can not decide what gear it wants to be in, it will jump from 3rd to 2nd even if i have my foot barley on the gas, if i hold my foot just right it will bounce back and fourth between 2nd and 3rd gear.
I have taken it to dodge and had an update done and a tranny flush, they say they have no clue and they will have to take it apart to determine the problem, shes off warrenty so i really want to avoid this if i can $$$$
any ideas???
Definitely sounds like the common 2-3 shift shuffle with these transmissions. I had it in my '05 and now have it in my '06 both 48RE's.

Need this at minimum:

46RE 47RE 48RE GOVERNOR PRESSURE SOLENOID UPGRADE BORG | eBay

This is what I used and it fixed my '05, so I'm getting it for my '06:

DODGE HD GOVERNOR PRESSURE SOLENOID & SENSOR KIT | eBay

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thats great thanks, Ill be looking into this monday morning.
also my tach does not seem to read correctly, it idles at about 500rpm well atleast the tach says that, the truck runs fine, it seems that it is always reading about 500rpm to 700rpm low?

cheers

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thats great thanks, Ill be looking into this monday morning.
also my tach does not seem to read correctly, it idles at about 500rpm well atleast the tach says that, the truck runs fine, it seems that it is always reading about 500rpm to 700rpm low?

cheers
Obviously separate issue from the trans. This is unfortunately very common on the '06's. I just bought my '06 a month ago. The tach would go all the way around and touch the needle resting pin and go back around. Would show low idle and basically just be all over the place....all while truck ran fine. You can do some searching, but I'm pretty sure the fix is to take it to a dealer and have the cluster replaced and they apply the correct flash to it. I made the dealership I bought my truck from replace the cluster before I bought it and all is great now. Good luck!

RG

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I had the upgrades done on my trans, Truck is still doing the shuttle shift.
any other ideas out there? has anyone had the same issue after the replaced the solenoid and the sensor?

·
Registered
71 Posts
So here's an issue... thought my starter drive wasn't engaging, could here it spinning, but not cranking the engine... had 20 min to make it to auto zone to get a starter if that was the problem... got underneath the thing to find that the starter was physically loose, I mean the top bolt missing the bottom two backed out, one barely hanging on! figuring that the problem was the physical interface, and missing one bolt, we didn't see the need to remove and replace a working part, instead tighten the bolts back down and replace the missing bolt the next day... Well, that worked, but when tightening the battery leads the truck turned off... when we attempted to restart, the housing around the lower bolt cracked and back to the existing problem... The decision was made to place the lower bolt in place of the upper, limp home, and install new starter the next day... Here's were it gets interesting... The upper bolt is in a hard to reach location using a 10mm and a ratchet, my friend accidently drops the ratchet and best we could tell it hits the lead, and arcs... Everyone's okay... Finally get it tightened, truck starts...

So, why am I in a tranny post talking about the starter... it's called foreshadowing I suppose...

On my drive home I didn't notice anything wrong until about half a mile from the house, the truck seemed like it wasn't shifting right... I slowed, and put it in neutral... then back to drive... I was making the speed limit of 25, but then started to loose power... completely! I was stuck rev'ing the engine 100 yards from my driveway on the side of the road, reverse wasn't working, and neither was drive... Finally it started moving, but not the way it should, there was just no "take off", and when it tried shifting it just started jerking... kinda like a limited slip engaging and disengaging in sand... Got it parked, and tried moving it, but when it is put in gear it doesn't roll at idle in drive or reverse... if I get it up to around 1500 RPM it'll slowly respond, but not with much force, barely with the power you'd get at idle...

best I can guess is that that spark shorted something out in the transmission... but I have no idea where to start... could be the frustration that this just happened, but I'm in the dark right now... guys/gals, does anyone out there have an idea of what is going on? I deploy in a couple of months, and need my only vehicle to get to and from work, can't rely on rides from coworkers all the time!

2006 4WD 2500 CTD... stock 48re... no codes... 4WD still engages fine... thanks in advance

·
Registered
71 Posts
update... I just stepped outside to grab my uniform from the truck... it looks like someone sacraficed a deer next to the truck... fluid everywhere! FML...

·
Registered
255 Posts
If there's not enough fluid in the pan, you should get a check engine light and the truck will not move. Also when you go to put it in gear, it won't want to jump like it normally does. Sounds like you had a leak.

If it was the arch, you would have had the problem as soon as you left your butterfinger'd buddys house. If it leaked on the way home, you would have had the scenario you described.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sorry... I never updated the situation! Yes, turns out the loose starter jumped and punctured the cooler line, causing it to bleed out on the drive home... Relatively inexpensive repair, just took some time. I did however find out that my tranny is a 47RE, not the 48. No damage done other than new cooler line, drain and fill, along with new filter...that was good news! Met a very savvy diesel tech whose going to get a parts list together from his friend with a 3500...this guy was pushing over 60mpg's out of his rig! Going to have a little work done while I'm on deployment...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts