Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
Interesting read.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Very interesting read. Being that most of the information is not correct !! 23 direct clutches ? Intermediate bands ? I don't think so.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very interesting read. Being that most of the information is not correct !! 23 direct clutches ? Intermediate bands ? I don't think so.
I was hoping someone would chime in as to wether this was accurate info. Apparently the writer of this is a tech. of some sort that answers questions on that forum.

·
Premium Member
15,603 Posts
Sheesh, READ THE ARTICLE before blowing so much smoke. :coocoo

NO WHERE does it say intermediate bands, it clearly says "Heavier Intermediate Shaft, specially hardened" and "with increase in band apply pressure" seperated by a comma. Not exactly correct grammar but correct facts.

Yes, a lot of the 48RE's had 23 single side OD direct clutches. They have since gone back to the older setup of double sided clutch disks but there are a lot that are still running the 23 disk setup.

The information in the article is spot on and as correct as it can get. The 48RE as designed is a pretty tought unit. Too bad Dodge did NOT follow all the aftermarket reccomendations on line pressures, convderter stall speeds and TQ multiplication. Then there would be no issues to complain about. :lol3:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Ok so I am still learning what trans do I have?? Or how can I find out?

·
Registered
283 Posts
So are they good, bad, ok. how much abuse will they take? How power can you safely put through them stock? thanks

·
Registered
508 Posts
bhdodge, in your case, you are good for about 70 hp (100 hp if your easy with your right foot) in the stock 48RE. Any more horses after that, you should look into a new torque converter and valve body, which is good up to 450 hp total. After that, you should look into a new tranny with a billet input shaft, better clutches, pinions, etc.

·
Premium Member
15,603 Posts
bhdodge, in your case, you are good for about 70 hp (100 hp if your easy with your right foot) in the stock 48RE.
I used to think the same way, even a little less at 50 hp. Personal experience taught me different. Anything over 30 hp and no mods you are on borrowed time.

After 40k miles running 50-60 hp it ate the direct clutches up and ruined the input shaft. You may get away with more on the pre-05 trucks but the 05+ plus with the TV motor will NOT handle the HP.

If you want to add power, figure on a shift kit and shift enhancer at a minimum or you WILL be fixing things. Anything more than 100 hp you will need a TC to effectively use the power. If you can afford a single disk TC with better TQ multiplication and lower stall will make a huge difference.

A shift kit and enhancer is relatively easy to do and will safeguard the trans. Plan it into your budget. :thumbsup

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used to think the same way, even a little less at 50 hp. Personal experience taught me different. Anything over 30 hp and no mods you are on borrowed time.

After 40k miles running 50-60 hp it ate the direct clutches up and ruined the input shaft. You may get away with more on the pre-05 trucks but the 05+ plus with the TV motor will NOT handle the HP.

If you want to add power, figure on a shift kit and shift enhancer at a minimum or you WILL be fixing things. Anything more than 100 hp you will need a TC to effectively use the power. If you can afford a single disk TC with better TQ multiplication and lower stall will make a huge difference.

A shift kit and enhancer is relatively easy to do and will safeguard the trans. Plan it into your budget. :thumbsup
Thanks for clearing up the info in the attachment on the original thread. I had read a few other post made by the guy and he seemed pretty knowledgeable not just blowing smoke. I was thinking of getting a smarty jr. and running on 70hp. You think I'll be on borrowed time? Where can I find info on the shift kit and enhancer?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hey Cerberius ! I think that you should go back and read the article- it clearly states in te second to last line " wider intermediate band". No Torqueflite EVER had a intermediate band. Also being that I have been inside of many 48re trans,including my own, I certainly would recall 23 overdrive direct cluthes!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey guys, didn't mean to open a can of worms. I've just seen so many different opinions on how much hp/tq the 48 will handle. Would you both agree on the 770tq by Dodge or the 804tq by the ATRA.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I agree. I give mine hell everyday with no problems!!

·
Registered
483 Posts
A 48RE should handle those torque numbers properly assembled.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My trans is stock though and I assume those tq numbers they state are at the flywheel not rear wheel

·
Registered
483 Posts
I believe that they would be at the flywheel. A good billet style torque converter and a modified valvebody would be a god investment.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah.....I know but money is a little tight and wanted to get the smarty first, I know the tranny should come first but I wanted to have some fun with the giggle pedal but not to much, can't sling a dead cat around here w/o hitting a county sheriff

·
Premium Member
15,603 Posts
Hey Cerberius ! I think that you should go back and read the article- it clearly states in te second to last line " wider intermediate band". No Torqueflite EVER had a intermediate band. Also being that I have been inside of many 48re trans,including my own, I certainly would recall 23 overdrive direct cluthes!
I stand corrected, that doesn't make sense. The rest of the info is dead on though.

I just got done rebuilding the one in my 05, 23 clutchs in the OD direct. Not sure when they started that but a good half the 48RE production run has that setup. Aftermarket has quit installing them due to the inability to hold the power and heat.

If money is tight, do a shift kit, billet front band accumulator cover, and a billet band strut. You should be able to source most of these parts for less than $200. Installing the shift kit may be your most expensive item unless you want to try, The new Transgo 48RE kit is working quite well and it is a pretty well documented how to.

This will allow you to use the Smarty and 70 HP without trashing the trans. If you want to run more of the TQ management delete settings then see about a shift enhancer.

I would do the trans mods and drive it for a bit annd see how it reacts and works. You may be just fine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts