Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I thought I had this figured out, because I read all of the previous forums on doing the swap. Wiring pretty simple, right? Take the "yellow wire with blue tracings and ground it, or hook to clutch switch and ground, put the two reverse wires on a pigtail to the plug"

Wrong.

My truck (a 2006) rectangular 6 pin plug for the (MLPS?) has 3 wires on it, not 5. They only control R, D, 1, 2... What about P and N, the ones that actually allow the truck to start. Well they seem to be part of the Throttle Valve Actuator... I have yet to test and find the exact wire, and still don't know what to do with it. Do I ground it???

Anyway, I am here to ask if anyone else has run into this problem, and how to solve it... Need help asap, need to get this project out of the shop by the end of the week. I am ready to put the transmission in, but I want to make sure the truck starts, runs, and doesn't leak (has some coolant lines I had to "improvise" before I do so. Thanks

·
Trying to learn
5,636 Posts
14 hours is not a lot of time passed in Forum time.
Someone may have an answer yet.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry but i don't have all week to sit and wait. I already asked about the wiring about a month ago before I even started the project, with no replies, so clearly nobody knows...
Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Various ways to do it, if you cant wait search on here for info.:rolleyes:
I did search, and I already stated that what multiple people had success with doesn't work me me. I have to plug all the crap from the trans back into the truck to get it to crank.. I'm gonna make a little thing to hold that MLPS shut, and then tie it up there somewhere along with the TVA for now so I can get it out of the shop... From all the testing me and an experienced military electrician have done, it indicates that the Yellow blued traced wire should be grounded when the trans is in park, but when I do so on the truck, it only makes a slight click sound and won't crank... The only thing I can think it to re program the trucks computer to be a manual, then try again... Does anyone have a trans wiring diagram for an 06? I am sure I can find one on the forum somewhere, I'll just have to dig around... Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ECM needs to be programmed for trans.
wiring info is in FSM in newbies guide here Newbies guide to your new to you truck
THANK YOU! Finally! I kinda figured that had to be done, but I heard rumors of the truck running in Auto tune, which mine now does!

This is the Roadkill way to make the truck start and run!

Supplies: Angle iron, bolt, 2 nuts, zip ties, electrical tape...

Step 1: Remove MLPS/Transmission Gear Selector Switch from old 48re
Step 2: Weld the bolt perpendicular to the angle iron. Weld 2 nuts together.
Step 3: Put your device on to the switch, having one nut over the end of the switch. Tighten to close switch all the way so its in the park position.
Step 4: Cover your new invention in a **** ton of electrical tape and zip ties so it doesn't fall off...
Step 5: using the remaining threads (and another nut and lock washer) to attach the device to the NV5600 to ground it.

Lol, I'll take a picture tomorrow. It will work for awhile until I reprogram it and fix it properly...

Only other wiring related issue I had was the auto shift lever had to be plugged in and grounded, otherwise the truck will crank but not fire... I found this out after putting my new column cover on... SO I did the right thing and shoved it up under the dash, with jumper wire to ground it.

Drove the truck home today, even though it always thinks it's in park. The NV5600 I rebuilt myself (ALL the gears were bad, had to buy complete new internals, $$) seems to shift and work fine so good news so far! Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just got done with the swap, your truck should still start with auto tuning, my tuner actually recommended it to make sure everything is working and running correctly on stock tuning. After you get it started and everything is good to go then five in to retuning it to a manual. I’m not sure what the problem with the yellow wire with blue chaser is, I located it at the trans plug on the firewall, spliced into it, ran a leg right over to the ground on the body and it worked perfect. As far as your reverse lights if you leave the automatic wire harness in an zip tied out of the way you should be able to run a jumper from transmission over to harness and tap into old source.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts