Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I’ve been wanting to swap my automatic 06 Dodge 2500 Cummins for some time now. I really want to see what it would cost to swap to this transmission and where I could find the parts for such a project. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey everyone, I’ve been wanting to swap my automatic 06 Dodge 2500 Cummins for some time now. I really want to see what it would cost to swap to this transmission and where I could find the parts for such a project. Thanks!
I did this swap on my 04.5 and depending on the price you can land a trans for it is a fairly cheap job. Also not extremely labor intensive either. I did mine on a saturday evening into Sunday morning with one other guy to help with the heavy stuff.
I will also be swapping my 06 2500 48re to a g56 and wonder if it would be the same job over again?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did this swap on my 04.5 and depending on the price you can land a trans for it is a fairly cheap job. Also not extremely labor intensive either. I did mine on a saturday evening into Sunday morning with one other guy to help with the heavy stuff.
I will also be swapping my 06 2500 48re to a g56 and wonder if it would be the same job over again?
I think the trans would be the same it’s the interior that might be difficult

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just performed this swap last weekend on my 2006 cummins. the whole job was actually extremely easy and went pretty quick. I did hook it up as factory as I could. I did use the neutral safety switch (yellow/dark blue tracer) to my clutch safety switch so you have to press it to start the truck. also got the reverse lights to work but tapping one side of the reverse switch to a fuse (add a fuse) in the fuse block and the other wire I attached to the reverse wire just under the TIPM. that wire is a white with lime green tracer. swapping the trans was literally the best thing I could have done for the truck. I love a stick over auto

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just performed this swap last weekend on my 2006 cummins. the whole job was actually extremely easy and went pretty quick. I did hook it up as factory as I could. I did use the neutral safety switch (yellow/dark blue tracer) to my clutch safety switch so you have to press it to start the truck. also got the reverse lights to work but tapping one side of the reverse switch to a fuse (add a fuse) in the fuse block and the other wire I attached to the reverse wire just under the TIPM. that wire is a white with lime green tracer. swapping the trans was literally the best thing I could have done for the truck. I love a stick over auto
Congrats man! I really want a manual the problem is that, it’s my dads truck and he absolutely refuses to let me swap it. He says that a bunch of things will go wrong but I disagree. I’m just going to have to respect his wishes until I buy it from him.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm curious-- I just bought a 2007 3500 mannie-- Autoobd says that the transmission in this truck is the 48, so evidently somebody did a switch. Is there any way to tell from the transmission what year it was made, or on the computer get an idea of how many miles are on it compared to the truck? Probably not on the latter, but there must be a serial number someplace on the tranny.

Can't imagine having this truck with an automatic.

·
Registered
76 Posts
No, I'm saying that it is a 6 speed manual, but the OBD scanner that plugs into the OBD port in the truck, when giving me all the information about said truck (gallons of diesel used, number of startups, total running time, etc etc etc, is saying that the truck came equipped with the 48 automatic tranny.

So I assume that the tranny post dates the truck.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sorry for the confusion--- it's weird. All the automatic stuff is still there. Just going to leave it. Just curious about the mileage of the g56. I'm having a shimmy at idle, and it is either injectors or the dmf.

thx

·
Trying to learn
5,441 Posts
Congrats man! I really want a manual the problem is that, it’s my dads truck and he absolutely refuses to let me swap it. He says that a bunch of things will go wrong but I disagree. I’m just going to have to respect his wishes until I buy it from him.

WoW. you come in here asking for help about "your" truck and it turns out you are day dreaming about your Dad's truck which you hope to own some day.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

WoW. you come in here asking for help about "your" truck and it turns out you are day dreaming about your Dad's truck which you hope to own some day.
Actually he said I could my parents said I can buy it from them later on! So I’m just preparing for future stuff

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Actually both my parents said that I can buy it from them later on! So I’m just preparing for future stuff. I didn’t know that it’s daydreaming to get advice from experts. But hey your right it’s not my truck right now and it won’t be until I buy it.

·
Trying to learn
5,441 Posts
Wanting to get advice is great but go about it by being upfront.
Most anything about a Ram/Cummins you would want to know has already been discussed here.
At the top of each page is a Google Custom Search Box, just type your question into the box, tap the magnifying glass and you get a lot of threads to read at your leisure.
Learning by doing it on your own (it's almost a lost art) is much more rewarding than just expecting others to give it to you.
Again :welcome:

FYI: Daydreaming is often about anticipating the future, especially in a fantasy context, notes Peter Delaney, a psychologist at the University of North Carolina, Greensboro.
An excerpt from https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/7/130716-daydreaming-science-health-brain/

·
Renaissance Redneck BCVP
3,895 Posts
Actually my parents said I can buy it from them later on! So I’m just preparing for future stuff
This puts a different spin on your thread about doing a mega cab swap too. Why don’t you just buy a mega since you don’t actually own a truck???

Or, you could just wait until your parents are willing to sell you theirs, and be grateful for what you have? If you’re still waiting to buy it from your parents, I’m guessing you don’t have a couple of kids of your own yet? There’s no need for a mega when you’re in high school... Oh, wait a second, yeah there is!:stirpot:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts