Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Derale pan- is that a deeper pan or why need the pan changed -I believe I have a governor press switch issue at this moment- error1757 -waiting a replies to question on error- looks like the shift kit at same time is a good ideal from this thread

·
Registered
10 Posts
nv4500 from a 1994 cummins to a 2005 24v 3500 ?

hey guys new on here my 48re fell on its face as I have a nv4500 swap lined up for it with clutch pressure plate flywheel ext.. but I need to know if this will work my truck a 2005 dodge 3500 24v comon rail 48re an the trans I'm gonna get is a nv4500 out of a 1994 12 valve 3500 will this work I know I'm going to need an ecm flash but in general with the trans clutch an flywheel all work?

·
Registered
157 Posts
on my 2005 dually changed the billet servos kit from TCS, the 4 spool valve, the BW solenoid and put also the superior shift kit

changing for the first and second gear is a lot faster, nice at light throttle. In fact at light throttle every gear change is quite ok
At more throttle I feel the changings of gears a lot and is a bit annoying.
the problem is that after 55 miles at heavy throttle is like too much pressure and I hear a bang ( maybe when the 4th gear goes in or I don't know).
Around 50-60 mph if I push the pedal and demand heavy acceleration things go crazy, rpms goes to 2500-3500 without any more acceleration.the truck is downshifting rpms goes way up but the speed stalls, is not acccelerating to go faster. This is really really annoyng. Before I never saw more than 2500 rpm at the same throttle demand . so I have to accelerate really slowly in order to prevent the engine from jumping to 3500 rps and even lose the acceleration
I have a truck camper in the box so I need more throttle to get the truck moving
Any ideea what's happening and why and what would be the remedy
thanks a lot for your help
incognito

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey all, considering doing this shift kit in my 04 2500 CTD with 240k on the original trans. Wondering what else I should do while I'm in there. The truck is in great shape and doesn't get worked very hard. Some light snow plowing and trailering a car is about all the work it sees. Other than that it's all daily driving. Only mods are Diablo Sport economy tune, MBRP 4" exhaust, FASS 150 fuel system and K&N air filter. Any advice?

·
Registered
65 Posts
thanks for the info

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nice looking kit, tempted to try this myself

·
Registered
157 Posts
just to make a quick review finally I went back to the original Throttle spring not the one which came with the kit and everything went back to normal.no more surging rpms when accelerating hard. but It even at lowest pressure when demanding a lot of throttle shifts are fast but hard and iT´s annoying . I wouldn´t do the shift kit I think the real problem with this transmission is the TC. I think I would try a medium low stall 1800 TC.

·
Registered
157 Posts
on my 2005 dually changed the billet servos kit from TCS, the 4 spool valve, the BW solenoid and put also the superior shift kit

changing for the first and second gear is a lot faster, nice at light throttle. In fact at light throttle every gear change is quite ok
At more throttle I feel the changings of gears a lot and is a bit annoying.
the problem is that after 55 miles at heavy throttle is like too much pressure and I hear a bang ( maybe when the 4th gear goes in or I don't know).
Around 50-60 mph if I push the pedal and demand heavy acceleration things go crazy, rpms goes to 2500-3500 without any more acceleration.the truck is downshifting rpms goes way up but the speed stalls, is not acccelerating to go faster. This is really really annoyng. Before I never saw more than 2500 rpm at the same throttle demand . so I have to accelerate really slowly in order to prevent the engine from jumping to 3500 rps and even lose the acceleration
I have a truck camper in the box so I need more throttle to get the truck moving
Any ideea what's happening and why and what would be the remedy
thanks a lot for your help
incognito
just to make a quick review finally I went back to the original Throttle spring not the one which came with the kit and everything went back to normal.no more surging rpms when accelerating hard. but It even at lowest pressure when demanding a lot of throttle shifts are fast but hard and iT´s annoying . I wouldn´t do the shift kit .
I would do the billets from TCS, with the borrg wagner solenoid and transducer the 4 spool valve and a good TC medium low stall.

I think the real problem with this transmission is the TC( since I still have the slughish first speed and second). I think I would try a medium low stall 1800 TC. I would try a a TC next
mine transmission broke without notice keeping me blocked one week in Ottawa at 180000 kms. No more 3 and 4th just like that without a sign whatsoever so I have 50000 kms on a rebuilt.
incognito

·
Registered
4 Posts
What does the check ball (I think its called #2)you left out do?, What will it do if you leave it in? Second, The Pink Spring on the accumulator I'm not sure if I should use it or not, my trans didn't have one originally so what is the difference is using it or not?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Let me know if you have a 2-3 shift bind when your done. PM me and I'll tell you how to fix it.

^^ This...

Everything went pretty smooth.. Installed the superior shift kit, did the PACT Power Wedge, Sonnax 2nd gear Super Servo, HD Band Strut, and intermediate server, already did the solenoid awhile ago due to shutter shift 1-2.. Adjusted the bands, 72in lbs, 2 turns back...

Everything seems good except 2-3.. Shift are firm/crisp, but 2-3 almost feels like down shift for a second, then into 3rd, like it drags, tosses your forward, then into 3rd... not fun.. Did the pressure adjustment and backed it all the way off because of the blue spring install...

Whats the trick for fixing 2nd - 3rd??

·
Registered
843 Posts
Guys are also running the 4.2 lever in the fron band. I believe goerend recommends that.

Reactions: headshothills

·
Registered
23 Posts
I put the stock server back in, adjust the band out to 3 turns, its better, but not great. 1-2 and 2-1 is violent when it shifts, when the tranny is up to temp, when its cooler, it better, but once you hit 170+ it slams 1-2 and 2-1, makes it horrible as a daily driver in traffic.. 2-3 still has a hesitation between shift that doesnt throw you completely forward, but still dragging between 2-3... 3-4 and 4 to TC is great... 1-3 is horrible, I hate it... I dont know what else I can adjust, the inner band is set to 2 turns, should I re-adjust that to something else? Im going to try the outer band to 3.5 and see, if I cant resolve this im going back to stock, the truck i nightmare to drive...

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
What does the check ball (I think its called #2)you left out do?, What will it do if you leave it in? Second, The Pink Spring on the accumulator I'm not sure if I should use it or not, my trans didn't have one originally so what is the difference is using it or not?
Did you find an answer to the pink spring accumulator question?

·
Registered
3 Posts
what GPS and transducer are you guys running with the Superior shift kit? While the pan is dropped, what else can a guy do as "preventative maintenance" besides adjusting bands? seems like the guys who are adding extra length billet parts and pieces are just having issues with their transmission so, i will not be going that route

how many bands am I able to adjust with just the dropped pan? just the rear band beings i can access the front without dropping the pan?

thanks

Reactions: californiadreamin

·
Registered
190 Posts
Checkball closest to accumulator is the one that usually people take off.
Checkball(next to accumulator in the case) forces rear band apply oil through an orifice for a smooth rear band apply when the selector lever is placed into Reverse or Manual Low.

·
Registered
190 Posts
what GPS and transducer are you guys running with the Superior shift kit? While the pan is dropped, what else can a guy do as "preventative maintenance" besides adjusting bands? seems like the guys who are adding extra length billet parts and pieces are just having issues with their transmission so, i will not be going that route

how many bands am I able to adjust with just the dropped pan? just the rear band beings i can access the front without dropping the pan?

thanks
Borq Warner HD solenoid and transducer. Works great with superior.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Bringing back an old thread:
So I have just bought this '05 and don't know a lot of the history. What are some obvious cues that my transmission had a shift kit put in? It has a 5" exh and a Banks high-ram so I think he may have done other light mods.
I would do a shift kit if it's untouched, but I had a Grand Cherokee 44re rebuilt with a transgo kit and it was very aggressive. Sonim leaning on trying the Superior kit in the Ram as long as it remains comfortable. Any tricks to keep it plush and still hold up to light modifications?

61 - 80 of 95 Posts