Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well I would like to thank Baxy for posting this thread and all of the details. I have installed my shift kit. It took be 2 day to do it, but I was being very careful. Along with the Superior Shift Kit, I installed the billet aluminum accumulator piston and an aluminum servo and cover. all the shifts except 2-3 feel firmer. Would the 2-3 shift feel softer because I used the stronger supplying spring on top of the new taller accumulator piston?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Taller accumulator piston

Here is the pic of the new piston and the stronger spring. I don't even know if the original piston had a spring on it at all...The ATSG manual said some models don't have a spring on top. Maybe there is a lot more force to move the new piston and stronger spring that it is making my 2-3 upshift feel slow and less firm.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
The band adjustment (space in the servo) is the 3rd acumulator
So if you used factory band adjust I would expect a stock feeling shift
As well if you still have a stock torque converter I wouldn't expect 3rd to be too aggressive

·
Registered
87 Posts
After performing this shift kit upgrade, it feels like the transmission wants to hold first gear, and not shift into 2nd...a bit longer. So I either have to go faster or rev higher to shift to second. It isn't a large difference from stock, but it is still noticeable. Why might that be? Should I be increasing or decreasing line pressure, or is this the result of puting in stronger springs to offset the increased line pressure?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Actually the kit should make second gear occur earlier

·
Registered
87 Posts
holding gear

What modification in the kit would tell the transmission to hold 1st gear longer or less long? Would it be the Gov. Solenoid? I thought that the Gov. Solenoid was responsible for telling the transmission when to shift.

What does the plug in the transmission case do? (What does it change?)

What changes, if any, would I notice if I was to increase the line pressure slightly?...Would it affect shift timing?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just installed this kit on my 2006 dodge 2500 yesterday, and now I have it all put back together and it goes into reverse great, goes into drive and it pulls strong but it will not shift out of first into any other gear. Can't shift manually either. Being that mine is an 06 I have the throttle valve actuator instead of the tv cable but regardless it still will not shift. I have taken it apart 3 times now and reinstalled it in the last day and same thing no shifting every time. HELPPPPP. I did everything to the T like the kit said, I'm so lost. This is my first shift kit installation and I was super confident after I did it but have been let down. I also installed the gm pressure solenoid on the billet block and disregarded the oe one. Did not change the pressure transducer because I don't have one but I don't see it going bad just cuz I put a shift kit in it :/ please help. Memorial Day weekend was supposed to be fun. If anyone can call me and give me advice that would be great. My name is Arden and my cell # is 8309927950. Thanks.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Thanks for the post. Got my parts, fixing to do this when I find a roundtoit.

Reactions: 1badtantrum

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks Baxy, your post plus the instructions that came with the Shift Kit made this a painless and fairly easy experience. I have to admit that this is the first time I have done anything besides change Transmission fluids and filters in my vehicles. I set it up for heavy duty to pull my 5th. wheel and it still feels good without towing anything, as long as I stay out of the skinny petal and ease into the shifts.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had my transmission shop do a full rebuild on my 48re hd rebuild kit , billet converter. Truck feel good shifts feel firm (more noticable) not too hard tho but under light throttle I get a shift feel between 2nd and 3rd only under very light throttle. They had asked me single or triple disk When putting in the kit. Would the blue spring help my problem? Should I be concerned ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I installed the kit today along with the super intermediate servo and the BW governor pressure solenoid and new transducer today. The results are awesome. Before the kit I didn't really feel like tow/haul was all that much different than regular drive. Now I love the quicker and firmer shifts. Now it doesn't seem to always be hunting for the right gear around town with light throttle. We will see what happens when I take it out and tow our travel trailer. The instructions in the kit were not that great but I just popped up this thread and filled in the gaps with it. The only thing I noticed is the 1-2 shift is much better than before but still slower than the 2-3 shift is. Also when coming up to a stop I can feel a chunk when it shifts from 2-1. It is nothing violent but noticeable especially in tow/haul. Anybody have any ideas what that might be?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Are you sure it is clunking from the 2-1 shift....or is it maybe the 4-3 shift? After a new transmission and a new valve body, mine hits 4-3 really hard. It was the result of a bind up between 3rd gear and 4th gear clutch packs all in the OD unit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Are you sure it is clunking from the 2-1 shift....or is it maybe the 3-2 shift? After a new transmission and a new valve body, mine hits 3-2 really hard. I had to put the stock valve body back in before something breaks.
its not a hard clunk by any means. In fact if its not in tow/haul you barely notice it. Its feels like its down shifting from 2-1 at about 10-15 mph coming into a stop. Maybe just something I'm not used to.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I think that's the 3-2 downshift you're feeling, mine does it too. I'm still researching how to fix it. Seems like a 4.2 lever is a step in the right direction. I have the billet servo in it too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you for positing the pics and comments. Did I miss how much something like this would cost to have a pro do it? Any recommendations in the CDA Idaho area?

·
Registered
960 Posts
after putting in shift kit, there is no longer any reason to use tow/haul you will discover
I will use my tow haul when engine braking is needed. I know it's not much of a brake, but it holds my truck and trailer back on most of the grades I go down.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I recently had my transmission start acting up. Would rev a bit before engaging 1st gear and from there on shift out just fine. After much use of the search function I narrowed it down to the evil governor pressure solenoid. Being that the trans pan has to be dropped to access the gps, I figured I would put in a shift kit as well. Here are my results/experiences:

The governor pressure solenoid was definitely what was causing the 1st gear problem. All better now. Did replace the transducer as well as it was recommended on this site.

I am very pleased with the results of the Transgo shift kit. The directions are about the worst I've ever seen, but with some help from the Internet you can get through it. The only thing I did differently was the hole that gets drilled to firm up the lock-up, I drilled it slightly smaller than what was recommended. I had read a few posts of people complaining that it seemed harsh. I drilled mine at .070. Lock-up now for me is perfect. I like that all of the shifts occur slightly later on than before. For example before the shift kit, when just driving normal, my truck would shift to 4th at around 45mph and then immediately lock-up for an engine bogging "buh,....buhhhhh". Now 4th gear comes on around 45-50mph and lock-up at 50-55mph. If I put my foot in it, the shifts will run up even further. Is a beautiful thing. Also, the shift kit does not make for race car like shifts. The shifting is smooth and firm. I do get some mild backfeed through the drivetrain as it shifts down from 2-1, but I suspect its due to some engine braking caused by a slightly sooner downshift.

I put a Derale trans pan on it just to have the drain plug. Was cheap thru amazon at $110. It is a very nicely made pan and in my opinion worth the money.

As far as cost is concerned, I spent roughly $400 altogether. That includes the governor pressure solenoid, transducer, shift kit, filter, trans pan, and 4 gallons of ATF+4 (it took 3.5 gallons of that).

My truck is an 04.5 with the 48re and TV cable.

If anybody has questions about the install on TV cable models, shoot me a PM as it's all still pretty fresh in my mind. May be able to save you some grief.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
I fried my tranny from a clip on the planetary drive gear break free and send pieces through ripping every thing apart so I had the vb rebuilt with the shift kit I love where it shifts now I also had every piece in my 48re upgraded I'll have to find the list of parts I got a triple disk converter from Mozilla I'm anchorage no one has fried one of those hauling loads in the arctic or back and fourth from the lower 48

41 - 60 of 95 Posts