Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Great demo Baxi. My question is if I send you my VB, how much to do all that cool stuff to it then mail it back for me to install?
Also, are you replacing that week band that goes around the drum. My tranny guy replaced it while on the truck by grinding away a small portion of the band. It worked okay for a couple thousand miles but now does the same thing. Second gear slip and lazy shifting. It help would be appeciated..Mike
I've never tried to change band in vehicle

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Assuming it's finished, what's the end result on the performance increase?
this kit addresses all of the built in problems the 48RE has
it is head and shoulders above a stock VB but definatly less capacity than an HD2 kit

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Yeah if I have to start drilling and notching stuff on the valve body to make it work I think I will leave it to someone else. I would really love to have it done for sure though
It really isn't tough once you have it in front of you :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
baxy, it looks like you adjusted the line pressure adjustment screw, when i did my superior kit i had a new spring but it said nothing in the instructions about resetting the screw position. could you elaborate on the how an why your doing this versus superiors instruction. thanks everyone appreciates your help here..

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
the instructions say with the stock spring you adjust the screw to a max of 5/16 inch for standard duty and if you use the blue spring you back it off to flush for HD and for max duty you adjust the screw to 1/4 to 5/16 gap with blue spring
I personally adjust the blue to 1/16 to 1/8 gap for HD

the step to back it off is in there it is just not with the spring install step and it is not very clear
the above instructions are what I have carried over from the 47RE , both transmissions use the same PR spring

·
Registered
218 Posts
this kit addresses all of the built in problems the 48RE has
it is head and shoulders above a stock VB but definatly less capacity than an HD2 kit
Who makes the hd2 kit and what power levels would the superior kit be good for?

TIA

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
transgo maked the HD 2 kit, the superior with the proper hardware would be good for just about anything , I have been in a few billet transmissions and the VB mods in those transmissions are not very extensive
I prefer the superior as it seems a bit smoother than the transgo , but for anyone othere than a trans mechanic it doesnt have many options like the transgo does
I do a few of my own things depending on application which makes the superior flexible for me

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
BAXY thanks for taking the time to reply. I was just looking for the superior instructions with no luck, i guess i trashed them.i just did'nt rember anything about the screw adjustment.everything works great no problems or bang shifts, i also did the billet pistons an servos except the rear one i coudnt figure a way to get it installed with the trans still in the truck.any way today i checked the line pressure at the #3 test port per the 2005 dodge svc manual which calls it the accumulator port, i dont have a second gauge so couldn't do the test with the other 3 test ports.so just to see if the superior kit did anything i ran it down the road a bit and got the following readings they are approximate as i had the gauge taped to the passenger window due to hose lenght issues and my vision fades out at that range. 85-90 psi in drive light cruising,130 lightacceleration and when under hard acceleration it shot up to the 180-190 range.comparing these with the numbers in my 2005 service manual these all look 25-50 percent higher than the stock dodge specs, so i would say the superior did its job, for others it is also the least expensive kit and simplest to install.

·
Registered
268 Posts
pics are gone :confused013:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
All the pics are coming up on my iPhone

·
KONG
949 Posts
Wow good info, I'll be doing this on my dads truck some time in the future.. where would you recommend where to buy from??

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Internet , I used get my supplies from a wholesaler but I quit the trans shop 2 weeks ago so I will be shopping online now

·
Registered
254 Posts
subscribing for future use.

·
Registered
268 Posts
works now. tried refreshing a bunch of time this morning and only 1 pic showed up.

cheers

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks again man! Have you or anyone else done a thread on the transgo kit? I am ready to re-"build" my own trans because I am having the stock 48RE blues, and I would like to see the goings on before i make a decision on which parts to go with. I want to use the sonnax manual valve and apparently there can be issues with certain mods once you have done a transgo kit... Anyone know about either of these kits and their compatability with the sonnax man. valve, or the pr valve, the switch valve, and the throttle valve, as I want to use these parts. I really like the sonnax stuff after going to thier website and reading the tech data on each piece I was impressed. I was already sold on the transgo kit until i found that info so now more r&d... lol

·
Registered
212 Posts
i want to do a shift kit on my truck this is helpfull are there any parts needed to buy that dont come with the kit like gm govener stuff everyone talks about and thanks for the great write up

·
Registered
212 Posts
is there any parts needed that a shift kit doesnt include and what would they be? that gm solenoid thing

·
Registered
118 Posts
bump for same question above...

·
Registered
268 Posts
doesn't come with BW solenoid or governor

both about $80 each

·
Registered
118 Posts