Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just rebuild my 48RE trans with Suncoast and replaced the TC with their superior product. I pulled the pan after 7K miles and noticed the magnet has what appears to be excessive shavings on it as well as metal shavings in the pan (see the gold flection from the flash). See pics. I would appreciate any words of wisdom if this is normal for a break in period or if I should worry. Thanks as always.

Attachments

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'd say that's normal, but it's been so long ago that I had a trans make it to the first oil change after a rebuild I can't remember. Been 3 in a row now.

Parts have to get familiar with each other again.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Normal, it's called Dodge dust. Change the filter, clean the pan out and make the appropriate band adjustments and call it good.

The dark material on the magnet is disc and steels wear in and the brass is bushing wear in.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dodge dust...ha ha. Lets hope its not there in another 7K. Shifts beautifully after the install of the BD Diesel Pressure transducer and a new governor solenoid. Highly recommend it to anyone who has not changed those parts. As a bonus, my mpgs got a little better (~.5-1 mpg) also after the install....or that could be psychological.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Some aggressive clutch materials ( IF they were used in your build ) are just that . Aggressive.

The fines dont bother me in that pan ,, but the larger stuff on the mag do a bit . That the kind of stuff that binds up the Vbody guts and you have to wonder where they came from.

But with any automatic trans , there is no real choice . Run it .

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Dodge dust...ha ha. Lets hope its not there in another 7K. Shifts beautifully after the install of the BD Diesel Pressure transducer and a new governor solenoid. Highly recommend it to anyone who has not changed those parts. As a bonus, my mpgs got a little better (~.5-1 mpg) also after the install....or that could be psychological.
What you are seeing is normal. They all initially give off a degree of this after a complete rebuild. Your next fluid change will show significantly less material in the pan. Send it!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for a degree of relief. I will post pics of the next oil change to see if there is less "Dodge Dust"

·
Registered
390 Posts
Add Lubegard Red, it helps lubricate trans parts. Many transmission shops put it in there after rebuilds. I used it in a 4L30E with 206,000 miles and it smoothed out the shifts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts