Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tranny has always felt a little bit sloppy. But the last few weeks it has been down shifting hard into 2nd and 1st gear mostly when it is not fully to operating temp. It shutters into over drive when at 3/4 or more throttle. There is no metal in fluid and it is not discolered. I went to adjust my front band there is no adjustment left. Wil the band make it act like this?:confused013: I recently dropped the pan to do a service wich was not needed as i have done it 2times before this within 15k. I replaced the governor press and the trans temp sensor it helped that was what the code came up as. It shifts ok other than the shuddering :banghead:. I have been priced 2,100$ for a rebuild with all the updates and the converter would be a billet drum converter from transco according to the tranny shop. Any input will be appreciated thanks.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Tech at my work said the band adjustment is bottomed out it wont adjust in anymore??? If that sounds correct. He just said it cant be adjusted anymore. We did it to 72in-lbs and it didnt make any difference.

· Registered
242 Posts
i am no expert by any means but i have been dealing with band adjustment over the past week. anyway, it sounds like you may have adjusted them wrong. you know you need to torque them down to 72in lbs and then back the adjuster screw off 1 3/4 turns for the front band and 3 turns for the rear. then lock it and torque the lock nut.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya i went to do it then did not feel comfortable. The guy i work with is very good and has been in this line of work for 30yrs. I did get a 2nd opinion from a transmission shop that my work deals with. I just didnt think i would need a trans at 74k does that seem kind of soon. I occasionally tow 8k toyhauler i dont hot rod it often at all. No metal in my fluid. I appreciate everyones opinions and thanks for the input

· Registered
36 Posts
The Tech at my work said the band adjustment is bottomed out it wont adjust in anymore??? If that sounds correct. He just said it cant be adjusted anymore. We did it to 72in-lbs and it didnt make any difference.
If theres no adjustement left, its time for a new front band. This is not uncommon with the 48RE. The high ratio lever the 48RE uses in combination with poor shift timing causes accelerated front band wear. Go with a Alto red lined band. A Transgo 48RE shift kit wouldnt hurt either.

· Registered
498 Posts
I am not saying that anyone is wrong just trying to understand.
Are you running out of adjusting screw? that there is not enough bolt to get to 72"Lbs
I am guessing that the lining has been striped/warn off the band

Thanx

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info and input guys. I am takin her in for a trans prob next month:party018:. I am doin the transco shift kit and converter for sure. I am stock so i just want it to be better for towing i am not gona do any programmer or nothing so this should be just fine. My trans guy told me he is doing a triple disc converter. Will it feel any different from being stock " besides sloppy shifts followed by hard downshift"?

· Registered
369 Posts
It is possible that your front servo band strut is bent, this would cause the adjuster to not adjust properly. You would need to remove the oil pan to inspect the front band strut but if it is that it is an inexpensive fix. Go to this site and about half way down the page look at #4 and #4bs for a good picture of a band strut. Hope this helps.
PATC 46RE 47RE 48RE Transmissions, Performance Transmission A518, 518

· Not Broken? I'll Fix That
89 Posts
Thanks for the info and input guys. I am takin her in for a trans prob next month:party018:. I am doin the transco shift kit and converter for sure. I am stock so i just want it to be better for towing i am not gona do any programmer or nothing so this should be just fine. My trans guy told me he is doing a triple disc converter. Will it feel any different from being stock " besides sloppy shifts followed by hard downshift"?
I am not trying to sell you anything but I got so sick of dealing with problems I got an ATS trans. I wish I would have done it sooner, would have saved me so much money. I don't want to pretend I am a trans expert but I know these transmissions are not very reliable, I don't know about other companies but ats does a 5 year 500,000 mile warranty I see that as a lot of worry free driving. Again not trying to sell you anything, just telling you best thing I ever bought for my truck

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have looked into those as well. I really like the warranty as well. I am gona see how my finances go and if i can afford it before my trans goes completely i will get one. As all the trans shops around here have a 12k 12month warranty i dont like that. Again thanks for everyones input

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.