Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 Ram 2500 ; 188,000 miles - all stock

Transmission was rebuilt at about 133,000 miles by a local transmission shop. During that time the torque converter and clutch’s were replaced.

I just recently lost OD. It will intermittently shift into OD while in tow/haul mode. No codes.

This is a picture of the pan. Shop states it needs another rebuild. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you in advance!
56090CAF-682A-4A4A-8968-F1B04398674C.jpeg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Looks like it's been a hot minute since it was serviced. Check for codes and make sure to adjust the bands. See what that yields.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will check for codes again and adjust the bands. Would a flush be recommended as well? Is that a normal amount of metal on the magnet?

·
Premium Member
15,529 Posts
I think there are some steels in the clutch packs well chewed up with that much metal. Probably need to tea rit down and assess.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
If it’s running and shifting, agree with above. Change the fluid and adjust both bands. Worst case is you’ll be out a few bucks for fluid if you have to have a rebuild.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all the suggestions. I’m going to change the fluid and adjust the bands. I’ll drop the pan again after a few thousand miles (if it makes it that long) and reassess.

·
Registered
06 Ram 2500
82 Posts
Do you know if the solenoids were changed out?

If you mean you lost od by it not shifting into od it could be solenoid is bad or plugged up, I think somewhere there's an ohm spec for it to see if the coil is still good. You can also pull out the solenoid and see if there's junk on it too.

If your od just slips and the revs go through the roof then it's time for clutches and steels

1 - 7 of 7 Posts