Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys have a few questions on my 03 5.9 cummins with a 48re .I just put 60hp injectors an a bully dog 50hp tune an now the trans slips a little bit in 2nd gear when you punch it about 3/4 throttle . It takes right off then jumps in rpm and stops pulling as hard. Also does the same thing in torque lock in 4th gear. I'm about to make a 2200 mile drive towing a loaded 25ft cargo trailer and wondering if I'm going to lose the trans on the driver or how I can fix it asap with out new trans or 6spd swap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I just drive normal it doesn't slip at all .only slips under heavy torque load it will grab good then it's gets to about mid boost the starts to slip . It couldn't be any sensors or anything?

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
IDK
Check fluid /filter ?
Check pressures?
Check codes ?

With info your providing slipping in second gear and 4th/locked, that sounds like clutches.
Pretty typical as your exceeding stock clutch holding capacities.
To be able to drive truck at +/- 400 hp, the proper fix assuming everything else is good is properly built valve body and decent single torque convertor.

48re are designed for stock torque/normal driving, stock ECM tuning actually manages torque to avoid slipping trans.
Any hp/torque above factory number brings out the weak points with 48re especially if tuner alters or removes torque management.
Otherwise can remove tuner and drive normal but that's no fun.:(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts