Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

48RE Kickdown

16100 Views 12 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  oldschool89
Does anyone else have a problem with when you're rolling along at 40 mph, for example, and you stand on it..the transmission doesn't know what to do and the engine just revs then it'll take off? What I'm used to in an auto is when you stand on it it kicks down and will take off! I believe that I have cured most of it with adjusting the band (rear band?) last night during a fluid/filter change. I couldn't get to the front band to adjust it because...well...I couldn't get to it at the time. What is wrong or out of adjustment for the transmission to not kickdown properly. My buddy said when he had a stock transmission that it did the same thing. I'm wondering if this is true. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am happy that there was only a little break in material on the magnet, but the fluid was beat up. It's nice to see a bloody dipstick again.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
241 Posts
My truck does the same thing and a guy i talked to said the bands need to be adjusted. He also said it is a electronics problem because the trans doesnt know what gear to jump to at first then says ohhhhhhh then slams into that gear dont know if its true but it sounded good lol

· Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. I adjusted one of the bands when I changed the fluid, and I ran out of time and couldn't adjust the other (front). I'm guessing that might be my problem. I also just got off the phone with Suncoast and describing it to them they said it sounds like the governor solenoid. I have no idea, but dammit I'm going to find out....because I'm stubborn like that! :headbang:

· Registered
40 Posts
i had the same issue as well. had it in for tranny service and there is a tsb on the governor solenoid.
had it replaced, and the front band adjusted. now it shifts alot better. still has a lag in tc lockup, but after 60k miles my fluid was still good with very little wear material on the plug.
now the more i drive, the better it seems to get.
will be my last auto tho.

· Registered
1,019 Posts
my 06 is doing the same thing when u get on it. Has trouble finding the gear and then goes. Someone on here told me it could be turbo lag but i dont think that is right But it is also shifting funny from first to second with very little pedal. Is this also the bands? Along with these bands where exactly are they on the trans and how do i get to them as am a little new to this whole thing. thanks.

· Registered
1,019 Posts
this procedure works with the 06 correct.

· Registered
87 Posts
You don't have to remove the pan to adjust front band. Its adjusted on the drivers side of the transmission case. Its a 3/4" nut around a T40 torx bit

The rear band is low and reverse and wouldn't have any effect on the kickdown

Kickdown is calculated from throttle position, and load, and gear selection/rpm

It would help alot to know what gear you are in when you are trying to kickdown/downshift

· Banned
5,760 Posts
The stock transmission is better than it was at handling Cummins power, but it still has no idea what it is doing. A good aftermarket valvebody would be helpful.

· Registered
36 Posts
Does anyone else have a problem with when you're rolling along at 40 mph, for example, and you stand on it..the transmission doesn't know what to do and the engine just revs then it'll take off? What I'm used to in an auto is when you stand on it it kicks down and will take off! I believe that I have cured most of it with adjusting the band (rear band?) last night during a fluid/filter change. I couldn't get to the front band to adjust it because...well...I couldn't get to it at the time. What is wrong or out of adjustment for the transmission to not kickdown properly. My buddy said when he had a stock transmission that it did the same thing. I'm wondering if this is true. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am happy that there was only a little break in material on the magnet, but the fluid was beat up. It's nice to see a bloody dipstick again.
It probably kicked down from 2nd to 1st and made the motor run right into defuel, paused for a second and shifted right up to 2nd. No acceleration with this scenario, just a lot of revs and no go.
I wouldnt "stand" on it :badidea:with the diesels, avoid abrupt pedal movements. In most scenarios theres no need to kickdown with all that torque. feather in a little throttle to let the turbo spool up :turbo:and than make your move. :party018:Works great.

· Registered
178 Posts
I had same problem - dealer did TSB governor solenoid then I had new bands, shiftkit and TC and mine runs perfectly. I'm not adding anymore power than what I have so I feel comfortable with my trans now. Shifts firm and fast and the downshifts are predictable.

· Registered
1,019 Posts
i guess i will adjust this weekend and let u guys know how it turns out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.