Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 Ram 3500 48re with new transmission and oil cooler. While driving, the transmission started to grind for a block and stopped as I coasted to a redlight. When the light changed the truck would only rev up in all drive gears. Atf was spit all over the road. I got the truck home and it is now dripping coolant and transmission fluid from the around the torque converter. Radiator is empty and has coolant/atf mix in the bottom.

Registered
Heat exchanger damage
Sounds like the exchanger ruptured, mixed ATF and coolant, dumped it into the trans and over flowed from the vent or drain in this instance.

Pull the pan and capture the fluid, see if ATF and coolant mix. You may be able to salvage the transmission but don't let is sit around, just my thoughts 馃挱

Reactions: aeb603

Registered
05 2500 SLT 4x4 QCSB H.O
Daisyland hit the nail on the head. Yikes. Have just been looking into this issue as i've been contemplating doing the fleece coolant bypass kit to avoid this. Sorry this happened to you. Hopefully you can save the trans. Was the heat exchanger installed by the same shop who did the trans or did you do the work yourself?

Registered
Once coolant is in the transmission it's degrades the friction discs and the clutch in the torque converter. I went though this a couple of years ago. Talk to Jon at Dynamic Transmission. He'll confirm. Sorry but you'll need to rebuild it.

Registered
2003 SO, 160k on the clock, EGT/Trans/Fuel pressure guages
Is installing the coolent bypass kit worth doing? Any trade offs?

I try to keep things stock as my thoughts are the manufacturer constructed them that way for a reason.

Registered
Jon at Dynamic is in favor of the heat exchanger from what I get in a few posts he's made on the subject. Perhaps he'll chime in and give you a better rundown on why.

I did not bypass it, I replaced mine.

Reactions: rghavana
1 - 10 of 10 Posts