Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2nd gear has been slipping for a few months but I just try to be as gentle as I can with it, and its kept me going. Last night I adjusted the band and before there was 2-3 threads above the jam nut, now its even with the jam nut. I checked it twice. I dont have a inch lb torque wrench but I have a bar reading ft lbs and I set it just over 5 ft lbs., then back 1 3/4 turns. Then tightented the jam nut back up. Now, she grabs 2nd alot better. Question is am I about to have to tranny probs? How much time do I have to save up for this? Is it possible for me to replace the band... and can I replace it with the tranny on the truck? Im a fair mechanic.

Thanks for all the advise.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CraigC...
Its not slipping in 2nd gear anymore since I made the band adjustment. It works fine. But the adjustment bolt is now even with the jam nut. My last adjustment was about 2 years ago, and its been fine since then.

I saw elsewhere on the forum, them talking about band replacement, on the truck. Was just wondering if anybody had any experience with that.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe slipping is not the right term. I've not noticed it slipping in any other gear. It just seems to not catch second very good loaded or unloaded. If I am going up and incline from a stop, I could easily over rev the motor, until it grabs 3rd. I did the adjustment like normal, and I can feel it catching 2nd better now. I figure if it was a "slipping issue" it would be slipping in every gear. From what I have read, this is a common problem in these transmissions.
I will start saving now.
Is it better to have mine rebuilt since its been a good trannie so far, or buy a rebuilt one?

Thanks for the advice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.