Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Maybe slipping is not the right term. I've not noticed it slipping in any other gear. It just seems to not catch second very good loaded or unloaded. If I am going up and incline from a stop, I could easily over rev the motor, until it grabs 3rd. I did the adjustment like normal, and I can feel it catching 2nd better now. I figure if it was a "slipping issue" it would be slipping in every gear. From what I have read, this is a common problem in these transmissions.
I will start saving now.
Is it better to have mine rebuilt since its been a good trannie so far, or buy a rebuilt one?

Thanks for the advice.
I have the same issue. My 2006 Ram 2500 have 82K on it. I bought it used and the first thing that I noticed was the shifting issue. The first time I tried to adjust the front band, the band strut fell into the pan because it was too loose already. I have talked to some people and basically they all suggested that I have the tranny rebuilt. My impression is that by tightening it up, you could get maybe a few months more life out of it but it is not likely you will go far with it. Rebuild with upgardes is probably the way to go. Wish I have all the tech details...

Have you found a good trans shop yet? I am in southwest Houston. Haven't got a clue where I should go...

·
Registered
7 Posts
They do make a "slip-in" front band that's around 35 bucks with shipping. I haven't installed it but I ordered it to see what the difference was bits really only a modified stock band. It might help you "gimp" your trans until you have the funds to get one built But I def wouldn't keep it as a permanent fix.
Can you tell me where I can get this kinda slip-in band? Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The life has been gotten from band. It is running metal to metal. Delaying will only worsen and cause failure of drum it runs against. The link can fall out and can jamb into case and ruin.
Stronglly urge rebuilding yours. No telling what was wrong with other rebuild/reman.
Repairs should include a upgrade VB or shift kit. And install aftermarket servo assy.
Maybe it is time I bite the bullet too...Do you have a list of these upgrade products? I know different people have different ideas, but a starting point would help a lot. I do not haul much, no more than a 28 ft travel trailer a few times a year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wittrans.com
Part # 22022AS

Can't really post the link... Doing this on the old iPhone... But hope that helps.
Thanks. Wonder if it comes with instructions... I suppose you have to remove the VB to install this flexible slip-in band, right? I will probably limp along for a while before rebuild.

Can you recommend some rebuild upgrade products? Wittrans sells a lot of upgrade stuff but I have no idea what's to consider when it comes to rebuild. I only know that whatever is in the tranny on my stock version is POS. I have to pretend that money is no issue here so I can tame the beast...or at least let the beast do its thing...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.