Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2nd gear has been slipping for a few months but I just try to be as gentle as I can with it, and its kept me going. Last night I adjusted the band and before there was 2-3 threads above the jam nut, now its even with the jam nut. I checked it twice. I dont have a inch lb torque wrench but I have a bar reading ft lbs and I set it just over 5 ft lbs., then back 1 3/4 turns. Then tightented the jam nut back up. Now, she grabs 2nd alot better. Question is am I about to have to tranny probs? How much time do I have to save up for this? Is it possible for me to replace the band... and can I replace it with the tranny on the truck? Im a fair mechanic.

Thanks for all the advise.

·
Registered
269 Posts
If its slipping, you already have tranny issues.

If someone could tell you "how long" you have before the trans decides its done...they would be a rich man!

You cannont replace the band without removing the front pump for access. The obviously requires removal from the truck.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CraigC...
Its not slipping in 2nd gear anymore since I made the band adjustment. It works fine. But the adjustment bolt is now even with the jam nut. My last adjustment was about 2 years ago, and its been fine since then.

I saw elsewhere on the forum, them talking about band replacement, on the truck. Was just wondering if anybody had any experience with that.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
like was said if its slipping you already have a trans going to give up. You adjusting the band is only you tightening it up so it grabs the drum harder and eventualy the drum is prob glazed and chaffed up enough its just going to wipe the band out compteley but like me i would run it till it leaves me on the side of the road but i would start making a plan on some trans work cause it sounds like the bands as tight as its going to get

·
Registered
269 Posts
CraigC...
Its not slipping in 2nd gear anymore since I made the band adjustment. It works fine. But the adjustment bolt is now even with the jam nut. My last adjustment was about 2 years ago, and its been fine since then.

I saw elsewhere on the forum, them talking about band replacement, on the truck. Was just wondering if anybody had any experience with that.
I was the trans guy for a Chysler/Jeep dealer for a few years....If theres a way to get the band in and out without removing the front pump, its a new one on me. You could possibly get it out....but it would be derstroyed by the time it was out or back in.

If it has slipped, its most likely burnt the band, theres no saving it at that point, only how long you can make it live.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe slipping is not the right term. I've not noticed it slipping in any other gear. It just seems to not catch second very good loaded or unloaded. If I am going up and incline from a stop, I could easily over rev the motor, until it grabs 3rd. I did the adjustment like normal, and I can feel it catching 2nd better now. I figure if it was a "slipping issue" it would be slipping in every gear. From what I have read, this is a common problem in these transmissions.
I will start saving now.
Is it better to have mine rebuilt since its been a good trannie so far, or buy a rebuilt one?

Thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
11,947 Posts
The life has been gotten from band. It is running metal to metal. Delaying will only worsen and cause failure of drum it runs against. The link can fall out and can jamb into case and ruin.
Stronglly urge rebuilding yours. No telling what was wrong with other rebuild/reman.
Repairs should include a upgrade VB or shift kit. And install aftermarket servo assy.

·
Registered
360 Posts
My 2nd gear started slipping badly last November. Since then I have tightened it to 72 in lbs -1.5 turns about 4 times, but I am metal to metal now and am getting a Goerend installed on Tuesday. I got an extra 6 months out of the trans by tightening the band, but I'm sure that the results will vary greatly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Maybe slipping is not the right term. I've not noticed it slipping in any other gear. It just seems to not catch second very good loaded or unloaded. If I am going up and incline from a stop, I could easily over rev the motor, until it grabs 3rd. I did the adjustment like normal, and I can feel it catching 2nd better now. I figure if it was a "slipping issue" it would be slipping in every gear. From what I have read, this is a common problem in these transmissions.
I will start saving now.
Is it better to have mine rebuilt since its been a good trannie so far, or buy a rebuilt one?

Thanks for the advice.
I have the same issue. My 2006 Ram 2500 have 82K on it. I bought it used and the first thing that I noticed was the shifting issue. The first time I tried to adjust the front band, the band strut fell into the pan because it was too loose already. I have talked to some people and basically they all suggested that I have the tranny rebuilt. My impression is that by tightening it up, you could get maybe a few months more life out of it but it is not likely you will go far with it. Rebuild with upgardes is probably the way to go. Wish I have all the tech details...

Have you found a good trans shop yet? I am in southwest Houston. Haven't got a clue where I should go...

·
Registered
946 Posts
They do make a "slip-in" front band that's around 35 bucks with shipping. I haven't installed it but I ordered it to see what the difference was bits really only a modified stock band. It might help you "gimp" your trans until you have the funds to get one built But I def wouldn't keep it as a permanent fix.

·
Registered
7 Posts
They do make a "slip-in" front band that's around 35 bucks with shipping. I haven't installed it but I ordered it to see what the difference was bits really only a modified stock band. It might help you "gimp" your trans until you have the funds to get one built But I def wouldn't keep it as a permanent fix.
Can you tell me where I can get this kinda slip-in band? Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The life has been gotten from band. It is running metal to metal. Delaying will only worsen and cause failure of drum it runs against. The link can fall out and can jamb into case and ruin.
Stronglly urge rebuilding yours. No telling what was wrong with other rebuild/reman.
Repairs should include a upgrade VB or shift kit. And install aftermarket servo assy.
Maybe it is time I bite the bullet too...Do you have a list of these upgrade products? I know different people have different ideas, but a starting point would help a lot. I do not haul much, no more than a 28 ft travel trailer a few times a year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wittrans.com
Part # 22022AS

Can't really post the link... Doing this on the old iPhone... But hope that helps.
Thanks. Wonder if it comes with instructions... I suppose you have to remove the VB to install this flexible slip-in band, right? I will probably limp along for a while before rebuild.

Can you recommend some rebuild upgrade products? Wittrans sells a lot of upgrade stuff but I have no idea what's to consider when it comes to rebuild. I only know that whatever is in the tranny on my stock version is POS. I have to pretend that money is no issue here so I can tame the beast...or at least let the beast do its thing...

·
Registered
946 Posts
Thanks. Wonder if it comes with instructions... I suppose you have to remove the VB to install this flexible slip-in band, right? I will probably limp along for a while before rebuild.

Can you recommend some rebuild upgrade products? Wittrans sells a lot of upgrade stuff but I have no idea what's to consider when it comes to rebuild. I only know that whatever is in the tranny on my stock version is POS. I have to pretend that money is no issue here so I can tame the beast...or at least let the beast do its thing...
They claim that after you drop the valve body and remove the old band, that you can fish this one into place without dropping the trans and removing the pump etc... I've never tried it However, I did order one just to check it out. It's only a modified anchor plate that should allow enough
clearance to be able to roll it around the band saving time. It doesn't come with instructions however.

Once again, haven't tried it yet. Heard it worked for others, I just purchased it to see what it's all about.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.