Cummins Diesel Forum banner

48RE Band Adjustment?

162K views 28 replies 22 participants last post by  cerberusiam 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
My truck has 100k on it and am getting ready to change the fluid and filter. I also want to adjust the bands and was wondering if someone who has done this can tell me how this is done. There are 2 bands to adjust, is that right? (y)

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Their is a lot of good info if you do a search

In a Nut Shell:
  • Front band External adjuster tighten to 72 Inch Pounds and then back off 1 3/4 turns tighten jam Nut while holding adjuster screw
  • Rear band Internal (pan removed) adjuster tighten to 72 Inch Pounds and back off 3 turns tighten Jam Nut

Some say to not adjust Bands unless having problems.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
ADJUSTMENT - BANDS
FRONT BAND
The front (kickdown) band adjusting screw (2) is
located on the left side of the transmission case above
the manual valve and throttle valve levers.

1. Raise the vehicle.
  2. Loosen band adjusting screw locknut. Then back locknut (1) off 3-5 turns. Be sure to adjust screw turns freely in case. Apply lubricant to screw threads if necessary.
  3. Tighten band adjusting screw to 8 N·m (72 in. lbs.) torque with an appropriate Torx™ socket. CAUTION: If Adapter C-3705 is needed to reach the adjusting screw, tighten the screw to only 5 N·m (47-50 in. lbs.) torque.
  4. Back off front band adjusting screw 1-3/4 turns, for diesel vehicles, or 1-1/2 turns, for V-10 vehicles.
  5. Hold adjuster screw in position and tighten locknut to 41 N·m (30 ft. lbs.) torque.
  6. Lower vehicle.

REAR BAND
The transmission oil pan must be removed for access
to the rear band adjusting screw (1).
  1. Raise the vehicle.
  2. Remove transmission oil pan and drain fluid.
  3. Loosen band adjusting screw locknut 5-6 turns. Be sure adjusting screw turns freely in the lever.
  4. Tighten adjusting screw to 8 N·m (72 in. lbs.) torque.
  5. Back off adjusting screw 3 turns.
  6. Hold adjusting screw in place and tighten locknut to 34 N·m (25 ft. lbs.) torque.
  7. Position new gasket on oil pan and install pan on transmission. Tighten pan bolts to 17 N·m (13 ft. lbs.) torque.
  8. Lower vehicle and refill transmission with MoparT ATF +4, Automatic Transmission fluid.

#4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. This will be very helpful! 5.9x2 says that some people recommend not adjusting the bands 'til they need it. When do you know they need it and why do some people recommend this? Thanks again guys

#6 ·
Yep, its not hard, just weird to do the first time, just mark it to make sure you dont rotate the scew while tightening the lock nut.

I would and did ..its in the manual to do this every 20000 miles ... mine was done at 50000 miles but i just bought the truck used and was left all stock from what i could tell..
Now on the other hand after adjustment of the bands i noticed the gear shift hunting more than before the adj. of the bands,, which also could just show the issues with the governor solenoid pressure issue.. but I'm just letting you know what i have done and what response it gave me .. it may be with the bands loose the line pressures are not as high but for me right now that would be a guess .... im sure trany guys wil chime in soon
I did mine at 68k on my old '05, and I just had the little 1-2-1-2 hunt under light throttle, replaced the governor solenoid at the same time($30) and it cured it, shifts felt better and no more hunt at light throttle. Really if nothing is wrong and its still shifting fine dont bother with lower miles but at 100k and never been done it wont hurt if done correctly.

#5 ·
I would and did ..its in the manual to do this every 20000 miles ... mine was done at 50000 miles but i just bought the truck used and was left all stock from what i could tell..
Now on the other hand after adjustment of the bands i noticed the gear shift hunting more than before the adj. of the bands,, which also could just show the issues with the governor solenoid pressure issue.. but I'm just letting you know what i have done and what response it gave me .. it may be with the bands loose the line pressures are not as high but for me right now that would be a guess .... im sure trany guys wil chime in soon

#7 ·
So i adjusted mine today and it did not go well the first time. The adjusting screw on the rear band needs to be turned back EXACTLY 3 turns. I must have messed it up because after adjusting it and dumping a gallon of some nice Amsoil ATF in there, it would not shift out of 2nd gear. I was furious! I took it back, dropped the pan, and poured 40 dollars into the drip pan and tried again. The second time I was extra carefully when backing off the screw. Put it back together and its working again. I am still nervous though and probably will be for a month.

Bottom line is don't adjust your bands unless your shifting is screwed up. (if it ain't broke, don't fix it)

#10 ·
Yeah that is right. 360 degrees, line your socket wrench up with something on the tranny and use that as a guide.

I adjusted mine a couple months ago which solved my reverse gear slipping. It was very loose when I went to adjust it and I can't imagine anyone loosening it on purpose so maybe there is reason to adjusting them even if there aren't any problems.

#13 · (Edited)
Copy Nitro's .jpeg, paste it into word or notepad and print it off -- I did and it helped me today. **NOTE** If you have a 3/8 or 1/2 in. drive torque wrench be sure you have the proper reducer for the 1/4 in. rear band adjusting screw (yes the head on the screw is a tiny one-quarter inch, pain in the butt screw head). I didn't have the right size socket reducer and had to use my best guestimate in order to get the truck back together so I could go to the hardware store and get the proper tools.

The truck still does a little bit of the one - two hunt and I still have to wind out 1st then let off the accelerator for the 48re to shift but just with my guestimate tightening the vehicle shifts SO much better. I'm sure when I torque it to spec it'll be like new again.

#16 ·
I had my transmission rebuilt roughly 23-24,000 miles ago. Would you guys recommend adjusting the bands or leave them be? One guy told me to adjust them after 20,000 for a "break in" period, just seeing what you guys think. Thanks

#19 ·
If its still shifting fine, I wouldnt mess with it. Wait till 40-50k until I would touch it, but again, only if theres a problem or feels a little sluggish on shifts.

Reactions: BigEdiesel07
#22 ·
Hmm, will be doing this this weekend and after a lot of searching, I'm still unsure If i should. I have the "Shuttle Shift" problem and will be throwing in a new pressure solenoid and transducer, +2 quart TCI tranny pan, and AMSOIL fluid. Should I attempt the band adjustment while I'm under there or is it not worth it...? Have 64K on the truck and never adjusted the bands but the only problems I have, I'm told are the fault of the transducer and solenoid.

#24 ·
This thread is awesome guys!!!

I need to do this tomorrow or the next day while I swap my pans. I do have one question though....what is the part number for the silenoid? Can I get it at Nappa or autozone etc? I have the little 1 2 shutter at slower speeds. Figured I would replace it since I'm going to be adjusting the bands too!!

Reactions: Vintagemotard
#25 ·
had to do this at 95k but at 100k the band was gone so had to just do a whole rebuild so not sure if your going to need a rebuild but just be ready for it if you do. wishing i just bought a goenerd tranny this one is starting to act up again with 118k now.

#28 ·
So I adjusted outside band about six months ago it worked fine for a while but its starting to surge again also revs high before shifting. My bigger problem is the star bolt is in deeper now and tightening nut is barely gipping not sure what to do here
Anyy help would be greately appreciated. Thanks in advance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.